Sign in to follow this  
djmac56

Cheap Tesco Cup holder

I was in my local Tesco today and spotted this for £2.50.

I think ideally it should be mounted on a flat surface, but it seems to work ok where I've put it. And at the price it seemed a bargain. The only downside is that unlike the Passat ones, it won't fold down and would be more difficult to screw into place.

It comes with some sticky pads for fitting. I don't know if they are up to the task of a long journey yet, but those of you who are interested in giving it a go, here's some photos:

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfIMG_1273.JPG[/attachment:2cifpga5]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfIMG_1274.JPG[/attachment:2cifpga5]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_1275.JPG[/attachment:2cifpga5]

IMG_1276.JPG[/attachment:2cifpga5]

Let me know what you think!

That looks good mate, I'll be interested to know how the pads hold up, don't want a sticky mess everywhere :nuts:

Alternatively, wonder if there is another way they could be attached?

I went a bought this after reading your first post....did you stick it on with the pads that came with it? They don't look like they will last very long.

I went a bought this after reading your first post....did you stick it on with the pads that came with it? They don't look like they will last very long.

Yeah, I used the sticky pads that came with it - I agree that they don't look heavy duty enough, but if it falls off I'll consider getting some black scotch pads and give them a try.

I think the best solution is to screw through the bit of the dash under where I mounted it, but I figured I'd see how much use I get out of this the least damaging way before I start hacking away at my rado's plastics!

Nooo don't screw it on. If it were me I'd get some clear silicone sealant from a DIY shop and 'glue' it on with that. I've used it before to stick things on and it holds very firmly until you want to peel it off. Then the residue simply rubs away without leaving a mess like sticky pads.

Might be worth a try anyway :)

Nooo don't screw it on. If it were me I'd get some clear silicone sealant from a DIY shop and 'glue' it on with that. I've used it before to stick things on and it holds very firmly until you want to peel it off. Then the residue simply rubs away without leaving a mess like sticky pads.

Excellent! I will try that :)

Excellent! I will try that :)

You'll have to leave it overnight to set. Once it's set you'll be surprised how strong it is. It's probably best to use several large dabs of it rather than smother it all over. If that still doesn't hold it then smother it :) But I'd be surprised if it doesn't work.

clear silicone is the best option. I wouldn't put a screw either. I had a friend that screwd a cup holder to his dashboard and then he got sick of it and took it off and was left with a hole . Looked horrible.

I have been a great fan of silicone sealant for years - must have used scores of tubes of it.

B&Q and Homebase charge double what you can get it for in various builder's merchants like Arco (use them all the time), Screwfix, etc.

I have used it a lot outside in the garden on various things I have built. Even stuck rocks together in a wall shape to make a tiny rockery. Give it at least 18 hours to cure for proper strength.

Which tesco did you get it from mate? I have been to 4 tescos and none have a cup holder :shrug:

I got mine down in Surrey - Weybridge, so not really your neck of the woods? Did you ask at customer services if they had them? The reason I ask is when I found mine it wasn't with the car polish, engine oil etc, it was in those White cardboard 'everything a pound' boxes that Tesco sometimes do. You know, where it might be a toy for the dog, a 20 pack of biros or some clothespegs depending on how they feel. Dig out a recent receipt and phone the store up to save the journey back. Those offers are often only on for a week or two