Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

Quick 288mm brake question

Thinking about upgrading the front brakes - as the car is currently sorned, I'm thinking of second hand and refurb.

I'm aware that I need the calliper, carrier and discs from a late (95-98) MK3 VR6 golf (others?) or a Passat, but which model Passat is it? I've had a search, but can't seem to find that info.

Am I also correct in saying the Golf callipers will need a different hose, as it comes with a screw type, but the Passat ones do not need a new hose, as it's a banjo type, same as the 'Rado?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

I got late Golf VR6 calipers on mine, they are a banjo bolt fitment. Though the braided hose kit for the golf fits the VR6 fronts and the standard rear raddo calipers.

With the brake hose, I'm not entirely sure which vehicle my 288mms came from, but the banjo type hose isn't the same as the corrado. I ended up getting a pair of hoses for a mk3 vr6 which had a banjo at one end and female threaded connector at the other.

This fitted perfectly in the c whereas the ones i got with the brakes didnt, the female end of the connector was too large and would not fit.

The search is on your side - check out this thread for all the part numbers.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=93362

Yeah - I found that, but that's for new bits, isn't it? I'm thinking second hand from a breakers, so would like to know what model Passat I'm looking for!

Ta though!

I think you are looking for a B4 Passat VR6 - although the Passat 288s are much harder to fine - I'd go for the Golf VR6 ones and just change the brake hoses to banjo fittings.