Sign in to follow this  
Josh Waddi

Leon Cupra

Hi Peeps

I have been deciding for the past 6 months to give up on the C ownership and go for the Seat Leon. The Corrado is just a bit too much money hungry and with a purchase of a new house and the Mrs wanting a little one i need something still reliable but still fun.

Ive looked at the pre 04 Cupra (180bhp) which is nice yes but due to age they tend to have high milage, ive also been looking at the Cupra R (225bhp) which i think is stunning and affordable, but when it comes to insurance on these things its just way too much.

So my question is does anyone have previous experience with these cars or insurance? Direct Line wont quote me(full stop), and ive been on 2 comparison websites and the cheapest i can get is just over 2K! This is being 23, 3 yrs no claim, 3 years licence, no convictions etc everything clean my end. 5k milage per year, kept on a driveway and being fully comp.

Any help appriciated.

Admiral always give me good quotes, but best to call them up as they always give a better quote on the phone.

I'm 25 and got the VR insured through them for a good price (much better than what you have said above) and don't forget the VR is group 18!

I think they tempt young drivers in with nice prices then try to sting you the 2nd year, but you don't have to stay with them for another year next time.

you are aware the cupras arent that relaible though?

turbos are renound for going pop. wastgates failing. engine management spitting its dummy out, n75 valve etc. and seat build quality isnt the best in the world, ive had a few lol.

as for insurance brentacre have always done good things for me. plus you can modify anything you want provided you dont exceed your agreed bhp limit. but even that can be raised if needs be.

just keep the corrado, i brought my first house in May, my mrs is 7 weeks preggaz and im running a VRT daily, to say im skint is an understatement but i wouldnt have it any other way, the rado stays end of :lol:

me and the gf have a cupra R in red for about 2 years now and it been the most relaible car we have had, one coil pack has gone in two years, we have the 210 version but when mapped are the same power as the 225 when mapped

we brought our with 52k on the clock, FSH, water pump etc done and payed £5250

with insurance we are with Admiral both 24 both with 3 points and we pay £620

heres a quick snap

IMGP0217.jpg

once there remapped they are a diffrent car

rob

Cheers for the advise guys and Rob your Seat looks sweet :luvlove:

i understand turbos are not the most reliable but im sure if i look after it and not ragg its nads off it should treat me well.

Seems like admiral are they way to go and i will give Brentacare call too.

just keep the corrado, i brought my first house in May, my mrs is 7 weeks preggaz and im running a VRT daily, to say im skint is an understatement but i wouldnt have it any other way, the rado stays end of :lol:

Haha, i soppose if i had a VRT it would be a different story, id give my house up 1st before that. im only in a valver which is definalty not reliable!

i think any car you buy will cost you money, they are all money pits... i cant see a VR6 costing more to run than a cupra personally. Insurance, fuel, servicing etc etc. Both my VR's have been spot on, the valver i had did have its problems, and my mates G60 is on a whole new level of money pit

Cheers again for the advise, that money saving expert seems very usefull and i will definalty be using that guide next time i do a quote.

I got a quote last year on a VR and it was the same as a valver, £700 (22yrs, 2yrs NCB etc..) a few weeks later and it was back up to £2K. i sure the market and companies change price from month to month so im gonna keep my eyes out for cheap deals. If that fails i will get a VR and stump up the insurance premiums.

I've got a Leon 1.8T (180bhp) as a daily driver and the Corrado in the garage for weekends. The Leon has been reliable - I've only had to replace a coilpack in 18 months. My Leon has had an LPG conversion, so helps keep the running costs down :) It's good as an everyday car, but it doesn't put a smile on my face or feel special in the way the Corrado does. If I had to give up one car it would be the Leon.

Ive run both but not at the same time. The Cupra R is a very good all round car, loads of space and 5drs really help on the practicality side. If you need that then the Leon is the better car IMO. Remapped they are much faster than a VR and the brakes are really good. Both will need some servicing costs but TBH there shouldnt be any difference in running costs between the two. As said above though you'll get more enjoyment out of owning a VR Id say.

I used to have a Cupra R, 225 jobbie. I loved it. Extreamly rapid, faster then my classic shape Scooby, and quicker point to point the the TVR that replaced it. Although that could be down to lack of talent on my behalf. Very competent, lots of room/kit/toys.

But... very dull. Just does everthing that is asked of it and gobbles up the road. Normally a good thing, but I prefer cars you have to work with rather then instruct.

Still as a daily, I would have one back in a heartbeat.

As much as it would kill me i still think the Leon is the way to go. With having a new house i have no time for my C anymore, its not been washed in 4 weeks. When i didnt have anything to do at weekends it got a weelky wash n polish. Ive taken care of it the best i can but without the time now its impossible.

Plus the extra space will be a bonus.

old before your time my man :camp:

Haha, so true, ive always been told im too mature and sensible for my age, still like to act a prat but when finances come in to play i get a bit too serious, 23 in 2 days.

Stick with VW, SEAT build quality is awful, the interior plastics are so cheap and nasty. The mrs bought an Altea FR and isn't impressed anymore and we're both kicking ourselves for not staying VW/Audi.

I swapped my 16v Corrado for a facelift Leon Cupra three years ago and it's been almost perfect. There have been no build quality issues at all and the only thing that's failed is the same plastic waterpump that fails across the entire VAG range. It's been mapped to stage two for two and a half years of my ownership and is still on the original coilpacks at 57k miles.

There's definitely room in my life for another Corrado but while I only have the desire for one car it's going to be the Leon every time. Even with just over 240bhp it still uses less fuel than my 1.8 16v Corrado did.

All I will say though is the handling is pretty awful as standard. The Cupra R is probably a fair bit better - I don't know as I've never driven one. I agree that it's not the most exciting car to drive though and is only a bit better if you're making the most of the power. It'll never feel as cool as a Corrado.