Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Best thing to do with a spare KR engine

Ok so I've just bought a running KR engine on the bay (from a guy i've bought stuff from before) because it was cheap and i plan on using the cams for my 9a...what should i do with the rest of the engine OR is there anything else i should do to it and transplant it with the 9a i've currently got....

Engine comes without alternator, gearbox, ancillaries, airbox, ECU, loom etc

I'd probably whip the cams out and sell it on, don't swap it with your 9A, the KR is essentially identical but the bottom end is just that 10% less capacity.

The KR head is no better than the 9A one, slight minor casting differences, but it's not going to give you any more power over the 9A head with he KR cams in.

If the old KR engine is still sound, then don't disturb it (the head gasket) , it's not cheap to replace the gasket and head bolts so just leave as is and someone else can use it till it pops :)

I'd probably whip the cams out and sell it on, don't swap it with your 9A, the KR is essentially identical but the bottom end is just that 10% less capacity.

The KR head is no better than the 9A one, slight minor casting differences, but it's not going to give you any more power over the 9A head with he KR cams in.

If the old KR engine is still sound, then don't disturb it (the head gasket) , it's not cheap to replace the gasket and head bolts so just leave as is and someone else can use it till it pops :)

Yeah i know its not cheap i had to replace the head on mine, i wasnt planning on swapping it with my 9a because obviously its 1.8 instead of 2.0 and would be 10% less capacity as you said, i just figured that the fuelling is easier to modify for turbo etc but as I dont have a lot of funds for turbo plus my Mini 1275 project I don't have the time. SO cams and inlet it is then

Does anyone want a KR engine minus cams haha :lol:

I'm sure you'll always find a taker over on Club GTI, whether it's for a mk2 or mk1 golf, especially if you're only asking the equivalent of a head gasket and a set of new headbolts, there's always someone who's got a blown head hasket :)

How much are you wanting for it? How many miles on it etc etc. the usual info please, i may know someone who may be interested :)

How much are you wanting for it? How many miles on it etc etc. the usual info please, i may know someone who may be interested :)

Will get the details to you and post some pics when i get collect the engine, as far as price goes im not sure, especially since i didnt pay that much for it...