Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

Clutch prob - goes to floor and won't engage gear

As per title - the clutch was starting to slip when the car was taken off the. For the last couple of days I've been able to select a gear, but today the pedal went down to the floor and was really sluggish in coming back up. When fully depressed, I cannot select any gear.

I've checked the cylinders and there are no leaks from either of them (the one near the brake fluid container and the one on top of the gear box) - I also took the slave cylinder off, and got the missus to press the clutch - the nobby bit that comes out the end and goes in the gear box comes out, and I can't stop it.

There also *seems* to be a rhythmic ticking noise coming from the gear box.

Any ideas?

Ta

If you've got no leaks then the seals have prob gone in one of your clutch cylinders. Mine had shot seals in the master cylinder so i got that done and the slave done as well as a precaution.

If I start the car in gear, I can feel the clutch dragging, and there's 1 millimetre of movement before the clutch fully engages.

If I take of the cylinder and strip it, will it be very apparent if a seal has gone? If a seal has gone, I take it that there is some fluid not being fully squashed, as it's going around the seals?

How does the master come off? Does it just unbolt from the bulkhead in the engine bay and the pedal kind of comes through or something? Not stripped clutch cylinders before but I'm sure it can't be hard :shock: :)

Thanks in advance

Tim

Update - slightly removed the slave cylinder so I could see the arm inside. When my wife pressed the clutch down, the arm extends and retracts fully.

Any ideas?

Tim