bigbroony

Gear linkage circlip

My gear linkage is very sloppy and recently the lever sometimes baulks unless care is taken.After a quick Google I found that one problem is a missing linkage circlip.The one that actually locates the lever on the shaft.This is the case with my car.

Does anyone have the part number of it or it's dimensions so I can get it from another source and not spend the rest of my life trying to explain to the dealers which bit I'm after.

Cheers Alan.

If it's number 12 (which I think it is) it's N 908 159 03

gear_pic.PNG[/attachment:m7gp1y7f]

Prob best wait for someone who's in the know to confirm before you order.

It is number 12 :) Think there are two versions though- my dealer wasn't sure which one it would be, so I bought them both (only a few pence).

It is number 12 :) Think there are two versions though- my dealer wasn't sure which one it would be, so I bought them both (only a few pence).

In that case the other number is 012 327 6 :D

I just used an e-clip from my toolbox that I had kicking around - its done the job for over a year now :lol:

An E- Clip is just a different type of circlip...

Im not too sure where you owuld get one... its one of those things that I always have in large quantities, and is allways kicking around - but never know where they come from...

I reckon its the same toolbox pixie that hides your 10mm spanner, only to replace it exactly where you have been looking - 5 minutes after you've given up trying to find it and bodged it with a 11mm :lol:

E clip has a middle bit (like the middle stoke in an 'E') and so holds the clip tightly in place.

Later versions of the cable change 02A box had E clips on the gearlever pivot, with a small cut out in the centre to locate them even better and stop them pinging off presumably, VW obviously spotted the problem eventually :)

I've bought part number N 908 159 03 and it doesn't look to me as it will fit.I haven't offered it up to the shaft yet( fnarr fnarr). I'll have a better look tomorrow.

You may be supprised, the clip does look very small but the recess it clips into is also fairly small.

Success! ! Clip now fitted.In true Clarkson style it needed a hammer though;but then doesn't everything worth doing?Haven't driven it yet.Went out for an Italian instead.I feel I'm on a winner as the gear lever actually moved when I'd finished.