Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

Anybody changed a late sunroof switch led?

Here's a pic of the internals of my late sunroof switch. The leds are ringed.

Has anyone successfully changed the colour on these, and if so, can you point me in the direction of a guide and/or let me know the voltages needed?

Thanks in advance!

Right - this can be done and it's very simple.

Point of note - you do not need to remove the pcb from the grey plastic housing. If you do, there is a good chance you will screw the whole thing up, so don't!

Using a fine pointed soldering iron - desolder all three of those little white jobbies. They are soldered on at the tops and bottoms as you look at my picture.

You will then need 3 x 3mm 12v standard led (of your colour choice) (for red, I suggest CJ66W from Maplin - you want the HE version, not the SB version unless you want the switches really bright!! Solder straight on - no resistors needed)

Solder in the new leds - see this pic for polarities. (I would recommend just tacking in place with the legs full length first and then plugging in just to double check. Once you're sure, then you can trim and solder in the correct place 8) )

Replace lid - reconnect and test.

:)

Oh - by the way - the diodes that I removed change colour depending on the voltage supplied to them.

What are these called?

or to save the hassle you just a late sunroof switch unit from a seat or passat which already has the red lights in it......

thats what i did anyway....

or to save the hassle you just a late sunroof switch unit from a seat or passat which already has the red lights in it......

thats what i did anyway....

pics?