holeinmk1

'Betty', Tom's 1991 Diamond silver 16v

Hello all, I thought it was about time i started a build thread (not that there's much building going on...).

I've owned Betty since March 2010, I bought her off Benjo on here who lives in West Sussex, and i live in Lancashire, so had an excellent road trip there and back to pick the old girl up! I do have plans for her, but i'm as broke as a joke until my golf mk1 project is sold, so i've been doing little bits and bobs,

Anyway, here's a few pics of the car when i got her;

That looks sweet, but had me somewhat scared for a minute when I saw your reg plate... :eek:

Looked again and it turns out I've got it's (very slightly) younger, darker sibling! 8)

Nice clean car there mate, nice to have a build thread.

So what have you done to it so far? I can see the wheels (nice), it looks lowered & did you change the side repeaters & exhaust? Whats on the 'wish list'? :)

To be honest those pictures where as i bought her and are actually the ad pics. I'm skintus maximus at the minute, so just doing bits as and when, i treated her to some new metal plates and a set of all red rear lights( i have pics,i'll put them up later). I'm planning a wheel refurb over winter, tidyup the interior (have had dreams of leather but i've decided to keep a cloth interior in there), delock and colour coded handles,new clear side indicators(the ones on there have been on an age and look it!) A new rebuilt more powerful engine would be nice, but that probably won't happen until this one goes pop!

Pics to follow.

Cheers for the comments!

Tom

Lights yes, plate no. Sorry but the gap between the first and 2nd set of characters is too big. Whats wrong with standard clean plates?

Nothing at all, but i do think older cars suit the old charles wright font plates instead of the newer font. I agree the spacing on the plates is a bit to big(i did'nt order them like that, thats just how they turned up!) but they've grown on me now.

Tom :)

That looks sweet, but had me somewhat scared for a minute when I saw your reg plate... :eek:

Looked again and it turns out I've got it's (very slightly) younger, darker sibling! 8)

Just out of interest was yours supplied by Alan day of London, mine was bought by(i assume a company called) Roy Fawden associates, the associates bit makes me wonder if they had a fleet of Corrados, now that would be something. :D

i remember wanting this when i was looking for a corrado its really clean but it was just to far for me to travell

looks great tho mate

I think the red rears look right on a silver car, the orange indicators just look wrong imo. Although in saying that I used to have a red rado and the OE lights orange and all looked ok on that. Take your time with getting the mods you want done i.e. rather than making do with a cheaper alternative, wait, save up and get what you really want for the car.

Looking good as it is anyway mate :D

Cheers, i learnt that well lesson of taking my time after i had a polo mk4, which i bodykitted and fitted wolfrace alloys etc,it was before i saw the 'light', but i learnt my lesson from it. The car looked shocking, served me right for buying bolt on crap... :gag:

I take my time with mods now, i fit them and see if i still like them in a few weeks or so, if not off they come.

Tom

Tom, great to chat at Tatton yesterday, really like the look of your car as said yesterday - the RX's really set it off perfectly. Hope to meet up again and see how you're progressing. Dave.

I think they're will be a meet soon, we all sort of agreed towards the end of the show season would be best.

Thought i should upload a few pics of the car at VWNW 2010 on the CCGB stand;

familycamera015.jpg

Mine and Gareth Pearsons show winning VR6.

familycamera048.jpg

Glad i spent some time polishing the tailpipe the day before

familycamera055.jpg

familycamera062.jpg

familycamera065.jpg

I do love my new lights :tongue:

Tom :D

Car looked lovely Tom sorry i didnt get chance to have a chat with you our kid had his car on the concours so spent most of the time over there and snooping round the auto jumble :D

No worries mate, hope to catch up at the next meet etc, :D The storm was looking gooood!

Cheers bud think i only need a respray and all should be good

Well, my rear shocks have gone, the corrado now drags its arse on anything but the smoothest of roads(i dread to think what the middle box looks like :censored: ) and is handling like a pig. So, i've got some brand new coily's waiting to go on, decided to go for Jamex one's as i've heard some good things about them and i am on a budget, but seriously, i think bits of wood would be beeter than the rear suspension right now!

I've also ordered some new polybushes to do the top mounts and rear beam, as the rear beam was an advisory at the last mot and the top mounts were replaced twice by the previous owner(he only had it 18 months!) so thought i may as well while i'm there. Just waiting for the bushes to arrive now, should be on by next weekend all being well. The sooner the better. :lol:

Also noticing a clunk coming from the when the car sets off, so i suspect i should have ordered some new mounts for the engine and gearbox while i was there(at least i hope its that.... :scratch: )

Hoping to give her a wash this weekend now the dreaded hosepipe ban has been lifted. :D

I can't believe its been so long since I last posted here, Coilovers are on the car now, the back is sitting a little high for my taste, but I can't go lower without spacers.

Recent spends include replacing the 2 front tyres(she now sports Toyo R1's all round :D ) and the heater matrix after it blew on the on the mountain road between Llanidloes and Machynlleth whilst visiting family(stranded in the middle of nowhere, with no heating on possibly the quietest road in mid Wales with no phone reception....) Having removed the heater matrix (what a pain that was!)I could see that it had literally blown a hole in itself, I was perhaps pushing the old girl to hard... :tongue:

All said and done, shes running well, apart from a squeaky pulley when she's warming up. I'm hoping my front splitter won't act as to much of a snow plough over winter! :D

Tom