Sign in to follow this  
Dr Forinor

Urgent help with suspension please

Before I start, I know there is a whole thread on this, I've been through it some time ago but I need concise advice right now hence this thread.

I had given the Corrado in to a garage to get some much needed TLC, one of which did NOT include new shocks/springs/coilovers.

They however got back to me with a phonecall and then an email with the picture you see attached :(

This is the rear coilover, which as you can see, is fubar'ed! :censored:

The worst thing is, it's a Koni top adjustable coilover, which I got brand new around 3years ago!!!!!

So now my dilemma is this, I'm in Aberdeen at the moment where I work, and this is my only form of transport up in Aberdeen, so for that reason I need the car back, like NOW, otherwise taxi trips to work will soon get very very expensive. Which leads me onto my 2nd point, believe it or not, I am on a budget aswell with the car (there are other things which need doing which I had accounted for, I hadn't accounted for the suspension needing changed).

Question(s)

1) Is is possible to get a replacement unit from Koni? Would you recommend it?

2) Should I get a 2nd hand set from somewhere and stick with that until I can afford to get decent suspension?

3) Can you recommend decent(ish) suspension on a budget which I should stick on right now, which should do until I get good suspension? The garage said they usually recommend FK and have had good feedback?

Keeping in mind, I bought the Koni's and I thought they would be fine if I need soft ride if set to the softest setting, but even in the softest setting they aren't all that soft.

The Corrado is my main car and I have a 5month old baby, and although this current setup doesnt seem to bother her too much, I still want it softer.

Thanks a LOT in advance!!!!

Pretty sure that shoudn't happen after just 3 years, especially to something which is TUV approved and i would consider sending that picture to Koni.

Warranty stuff http://www.koni.uk.com/home/content/view/90/128/

I would fit a cheap kit in the meantime since they should be readily available and you may be waiting ages for something secondhand to come along.

Thanks for that link, I got in touch with them, lets see what they say now.

What have you lot heard about AP Suspension? Phoned G-Werks & whoever picked up said he recommends AP Suspension possibly even over Weitec coilies & that the ride quality is very very good. Any experience?

What have you lot heard about AP Suspension? Phoned G-Werks & whoever picked up said he recommends AP Suspension possibly even over Weitec coilies & that the ride quality is very very good. Any experience?

:nono: Don't even go there mate. I know what you like and I can tell you now, you won't like those!

So to summarise...

...the koni fell apart but they were too hard on the softest setting anyway, you're on a budget, and need something quick.

Hmmmm. The cheapest way would be to get a replacement, and as your dampers are over a year old, you are entitled to a PAIR of dampers. Don't get fobbed off with only getting one, Koni HAVE to replace both of them.

But, will that rather shoddy peice of structural failure occur again? I know it would play on my mind.

At the same time you could fit some softer springs to take the edge off the harshness. You know the rates we keep banging on about :D

Or, and this is what i would do, scrap the whole crappy lot and fit some KW V3s. They are right up your street....but it's just their cost :( As ever, I will always recommend people go straight to the good stuff and cut out the middle man crap, it saves you in the long run.

I really do want the KW V3s mate, I would soooo love them but with them being over a grand, its just not possible right now unfortunately :(

What about FK or Weitec as an interim? And if so, which ones? I don't mind too much if I can get a set thats not too expensive (that'll last me 5 or so years of use & can then upgrade to the KW V3s) but decent ride. Not all that impressed with the Koni ride quality if I'm honest.

Like you, the dodgy Koni will play on my mind if I stick with them even now so don't even really want a replacement...

I really do want the KW V3s mate, I would soooo love them but with them being over a grand, its just not possible right now unfortunately :(

What about FK or Weitec as an interim? And if so, which ones? I don't mind too much if I can get a set thats not too expensive (that'll last me 5 or so years of use & can then upgrade to the KW V3s) but decent ride. Not all that impressed with the Koni ride quality if I'm honest.

Like you, the dodgy Koni will play on my mind if I stick with them even now so don't even really want a replacement...

I found the FK Koenigsports on VR6's car to be too bouncy for my tastes. That was 5 or so years ago though, so things might have improved since. Weitec are OK if you spend a bit more on their midrange or top end stuff. The cheaper fixed damping kits are pretty poor imo. Ask Heresites :D

You could go for the Gaz he's going for, but there's a few week delay as they're made to order.

Dunno what to suggest mate! I would rather put the standard stuff back on with shorter springs and live with that for a while than buy a cheap kit :D

Dunno what to suggest mate! I would rather put the standard stuff back on with shorter springs and live with that for a while than buy a cheap kit :D

I'm thinking the same to be honest. Wasn't sure if it was a feasible option. SO in this "standard stuff" scenario, get standard shocks & springs? Or get standard shocks & different springs? How would you do it?

Terrible! The Eibach springs are way too hard.

By standard stuff I meant the parts you took off when fitting the Koni c-overs, but I guess you don't have it anymore?

Nah the stuff I took off was Weitec shocks & springs, which were rubbish and no, dont have them anymore :(

Lol, now what? :tongue:

You could try talking to Julian at http://www.balancemotorsport.co.uk

I get all my suspensions and wheels through him because what he doesn't know about suspension, isn't worth knowing. I was in the same situation as you a few years ago and needed something half decent, fairly quickly and he came up with a Bilstein based 'normal' setup for very reasonable money. Although I didn't go with it in the end as I went straight to the V3s instead as they were in stock for next day delivery :D

I'm actually very tempted to find out from the stealers for standard suspension shocks & springs, even Julian recommended standard stealers stuff :(

I'm actually very tempted to find out from the stealers for standard suspension shocks & springs, even Julian recommended standard stealers stuff :(

I don't think the springs are huge money but the dampers are quite expensive.

You will also need the original front and rear spring top plates and all the original rubbers and fixings.... it will actually be quite expensive going back to stock!!

God knows what's going on in that pic but it looks like bi-metal corrosion under the threaded section - not sure I'd trust the other 3 now after seeing that.

New Boge Turbo or Sashs advantage shocks can be had for £150 ish from VWspares or GSF etc - these are pretty near to what VW fitted out the factory, the problem is that converting back to the McPherson setup will cost another £150 with all the other bits and you still need springs.

VAG springs are not cheap at all and really give too high a ride height so you need to look at something like the Blue H&R's that are designed to be used with normal shocks. That said you could have a very good and reliable setup for £500 which should outlast and give way more comfort than coilovers at the same price point.

Erm, I'm getting these for £150, done very little miles, but the upshot is I can get them very very soon, and it's helping my wallet too...

But do I really want them? Even as an interim? What do you guys think?

What about Gaz Gold? They sound pretty good and have good reviews, Rob aka herisitis is about to have them fitted.

Hhhmm, I have no idea, are they any good? How much?

EDIT: Just had a look at the price, £900 at least. The problem with that is, I'd rather spend the extra £300 and just get the KW V3's if I'm going to be spending that kind of money. So for me, right now, Gaz Gold is out of the equation. But thanks for the suggestion :)

I wouldn't personally buy them.. but if you just want to get back on the road for now then £150 isn't too bad I guess. If you find they're breaking your back I'm sure you can find someone who'll buy em for what you paid for them, and then you just move on to something else!

You might have a problem getting standard dampers from VW.

I heard there were very few left recently.

I wouldn't personally buy them.. but if you just want to get back on the road for now then £150 isn't too bad I guess.

That's what I was thinking...

If you find they're breaking your back I'm sure you can find someone who'll buy em for what you paid for them, and then you just move on to something else!

The only problem with that, I cant be arsed taking them off to buy another "temporary" suspension setup until I get the money, so this move would be a bad move realistically speaking.