Sign in to follow this  
mic_VR

Interior Overhaul

Morning all

Now I've got my C back on the road I thought I'd treat it to a bit of tidy up in all areas, starting with the interior.

So basically I'm after some suggestions of good products and techniques for sorting things like dusty cloth seats, marked headliner/sunvisors, leaves in vents, dashboard plastics cleaning etc etc anything interior wise. And also time wise how long jobs should take, will I be able to clean a seat tonight after work etc?

I've got some brand new VAG mats so I'd like to tart the rest up a bit to make it all match (kind of)

All help much appreciated as always, cheers guys.

Mic

Hi mate

The headlining canbe tackled with Tesco foam upholstery cleaner. Only a couple of pounds but great cleaning ability. Better than car cleaning products.

Best of luck with the interior.

When i did an interior swap in mine i gave it an over haul as it was sat for ages and wasnt in a brilliant condition. I used a small amount of disinfectant and a carpet cleaner solution mixed in warm water, it was then a case of the ol' elbow grease with a soft cloth. I then used just plain clean warm water to remove the disinfectant etc from the seats and used a VAX carpet cleaner to get rid of any excess water. Then just leave it to dry. It came up really well and looks brand-new-ish :lol: You'll be surprised how dirty the water gets, make sure you replace the water though!

Hope that helps

NB: test the disinfectant on a small patch first to check that it doesnt bleach/ruin the material, i used a really mild one, i think it was called ACE or something?

Steam clean it dude!

1001 carpet cleaner for the headlining.

Did think about steam cleaning, worried about damaging something though. Having never steam cleaned anything in my life, what do I need? Is it like a pressure washer so you can attach detergents?

Cheers for the tips guys, might have a go at a front seat this evening

Steam clean it dude!

1001 carpet cleaner for the headlining.

Did think about steam cleaning, worried about damaging something though. Having never steam cleaned anything in my life, what do I need? Is it like a pressure washer so you can attach detergents?

Cheers for the tips guys, might have a go at a front seat this evening

Be really gentle with the headlining, I used the same process for my seats for my headlining and it starting to come away from the cardboard! I think the foam cleaner from Tescos that 8vMatt suggested might be a better option. Luckily i had a spare which does need cleaning but ive been too afraid to do it again incase it comes apart again! :(

Steam cleaning is really gentle (nothing like a pressure washer), hence it being used for suits etc. It is a really good way of cleaning fabrics and i'd imagine would work well on the seats. You can hire steam cleaners, don't ask me where from though

my seat covers on the 8v have just been through the washing machine, came up great!

a bit of a faff to remove but worth it, I was replacing bolsters anyway so it seemed like the right time to do it.

On the 16v I just took the front seats out, sponge dabbed them with lots of water and carpet cleaner and dabbed the water off with paper towels, dried on a hot day in no time, they came up well too.

Absolutely without a doubt this for any interior plastics (dash/switches/covers etc). INFACT if you try and don't agree I'll buy it off you, I honestly think it's that great!