Sign in to follow this  
hombre_paulo

Losing 3rd

My car (VR6) is slowly losing 3rd gear. It started a couple of months ago and is slowly getting worse.

It started by not properly enganging 3rd but it would only do this every now and then. Two weeks ago it became worse and since will only go into 3rd if you pushed sideways towards 5th when seleting the gear. Now this technique is also starting to fail.

Over the same period of time i have also noticed that the clutch pedal is not springing fully back up when releasing it, although it gets better as the car warms up. Does this sound like the clutch needs bleeding or a problem with one of the cylinders?

All other gears engage perfectly fine so is it possible it could be a worn syncro on 3rd?

have you checked the conecting cables on the gearbox - are they fully tight? Clutch issue could be a simple bleed, or maybe one or other of the master and slave cylinders failing. Or even the fork inside the box. Try the easy ones first!

LOL - just phoned a local garage to arrange for the clutch to be bled and the lady on reception asked me after providing my car reg - "Is that a manual or an automatic?"

Update : Clutch bled and linkage all checked.

Clutch now feels nice and smooth and returns fully

All gears now easily selectable, except 3rd!!!! I still have to push forward into "3rd" and then right towards 5th to actually get 3rd, this method is consistent now though.

I`m also getting a slight amount of clutch judder but dont know what clutch is currently on the car (vag vs other). Could this point to a worn gearbox mount? Are there any sure fire signs its knackered?

Sounds like the side to side throw still isn't right. It's easy to check / adjust. Have a search because there's a picture somewhere showing you what needs doing. It's basically under the gear lever.

Have a look under there and A) make sure the main pivot isn't missing it's circlip and B) if you wiggle the stick left to right, you will notice a sprun loaded mechanism move left to right. It's difficult to explain but you slacken the 13mm nut on said mechamism and make sure the left - right travel is exactly the same. Sometimes they can end up being too far biased to the left (or right) meaning you have to push hard to get 1 or 2 gears, 3rd and 5th, or 1st and 2nd, depending on which side has the most bias. Someone please post a pic cause I'm struggling here, LOL!

3rd doesn't crunch or baulk does it?

Clutch judder is common on the VR6. Just off idle I bet at parking / pulling away speeds?

Sometimes it's the gearbox or rear engine mount but more often than not, it's the clutch itself. How many miles on it?

I have had a play with the sprung mechanism and every other gear is dead easy to engage. The circlip is also there too.

When making sure i push forward then right to engage 3rd it goes in sweet with no crunching at all. Straight forward and it does crunch.

the previous owner fitted a short shift kit so i dont know if this is causing the issue.

Clutch judder is only at pull away and only with low revs. A quicker start at it pulls away smoothly.

Having a look into this and it appears that it is a B&M short shift kit that has been fitted. Are their any bushes etc which may wear causing issues?