Sign in to follow this  
tandino

Nurburgring

Off to the Ring for 5 days/4 nights, leaving friday early.

Anyone else heading out there this yr?

17 of us staying at the Hotel Burgstube, we stay there all the time now thanks to some great hospitality from the owners Martin & Heidi, dont know if anyone else has stayed there before but ive only had great experiences with them 8).

Im driving a Teg DC2 that i bought for my mate who lives and works in Singapore now, he rented a R26R last yr from Dale at RSR but it was 600 euro for 6 laps and the excess is something like 12k euro's!.

I suggested i could buy him a car for the 3 days he can get laps in and he would save himself a fortune, deal was done!!

My good mate is driving my VR out, got a few bits left to do - fluids mainly, but she's pretty much there.

Maybe ill see some of you out there??

Cheers Pete.

God I love that place. Drive / watch / drool over cars racing around all day, then retire to a restaurant for some German "cuisine" (aka meat & chips) and a lot of beer. Heaven exists as a place on earth for petrolheads and it is the Nurburgring! :)

Be sure to send through some pictures :D

I've just got back this morning fom the ring, had an awsome time. only did four laps this time €75 for a 4 lap ticket :D

Got a 9 lap ticket ready.

I got about 13 laps in last time i was out there in the STI RA over a weekend, doesnt sound like much but its actually quite hard to get loads of laps in on the weekends due to closures and letting the car cool down.

Have to say last yr was the most organised in terms of minimising the delays due to accidents, previous yrs they just seemed to shut the whole thing down even for a relatively minor ding, last year they were yellow flagging the area and cones were used around the area and after you were through the accident it was upto full speed again, think there were only about 2 closures over the whole weekend.

Oh and the R26R is a awesome piece of kit, bearing in mind Luke my mate who has never driven one we got a 8.20btg on his 2nd lap,we've all got about 150 laps experience now.

I managed a 8.40btg in my RA, obviously you have to remember that you want to drive it home afterwards, hope i can get around 9mins in the Corrado.

Got lots of video and photo equipment going out this yr so we will see what we can do.

Got a friend with a Honda'd S1 Elise coming out who does low 8's and meeting a dutch guy with a Honda'd S2 who does 7.45 or thereabout, thats seriously quick!, gonna get a pass lap in that for sure!!

You stayed in the burgstube a few times too then Paul??, yeah great hotel.

My mates went on a european bike tour in May/June and called into see Martin & Heidi for a couple of days on the way back, he gave them our usual 4 bed room even though it was just the two of them, Touristfahren was cancelled on the day due to some people with too much money deciding they wanted to buy out the evening sessions!!!, so Martin,Heidi,my two mates and a load of other guys were going out of town every night to eat together, made to feel really welcome and had a great time anyhow.

I've only been going for 3 years but know Martin as my mate rents garage space off him. Never actually stayed there but eat and drink there most nights.

I have been saying I want to go for years but I can never get organised. Think next year im going to try and tag along with one of the group trips!

Off to the ferry now,

Looks like its gonna be a wet one.

Good job i fitted RS2's to the Teg and didnt go for R888's!!

Awesome awesome trip

weather on Saturday was good after a damp start.

Weather on Sunday was pissing down all day!!!!.

Monday was wet to start with then dried out but bloody slippery up through T13,Hatzenback and along through flugplatz it was drying but still not 100% until you hit Foxhole, i managed a 9.10 (footage to come) in these conditions................In the Integra :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got loads of video footage to come, we used a GoPro with a windscreen mount so full 1080p.

Have to say the Corrado was planted everywhere with just understeer to contend with, the Integra was harder to handle in the poor conditions because the back end was looser than the Corrado, this however suits my driving because i want the adjustability if the car is understeering to tighten its line which the Corrado just wouldnt really do no matter what i did with lift off etc, the only way to get the back end out was to trail brake, the teg would do it just by lifting off.

All in all it was a blast, did 4 laps on the Sunday in the rain, had the place to ourselves, did a 12.05 in torrential rain in the Corrado which doesnt sound quick but when i say people were going round in 14 and 16 minute laps it kind of puts how planted the Corrado was into context...

Will get pics up later! 8)

Cheers Pete.

Damn I'm jealous! One day I have to go out and do this. I must have driven hundreds and hundreds of laps on games like GTR and Forza so I'd love to see what its like in real life.

Only I'd worry my car would die going round it :(

Damn I'm jealous! One day I have to go out and do this. I must have driven hundreds and hundreds of laps on games like GTR and Forza so I'd love to see what its like in real life.

Only I'd worry my car would die going round it :(

Mate, ive done about 170 laps now and i still get a buzz out of it, games dont even scratch the surface of what its like in real life, the gradients & cambers are what will amaze you.

Still takes me a couple of laps to get my lines back to something thats passable after a 11 month break, you will take 500 laps i reckon to get it so ingrained in your head that you will have it nailed completely....

We should do a forum trip. Its more my thing than shows TBH.

YES! I was looking at the VR6 owners club trip next year thinking i would tag along with them but would be nice to go with people i kind of knew from forums than total strangers!

very jealous!

I was there in June for my 2nd ever time and first time with my own car. It is such an awesome experience that all keen driver have to try, even if you go as a passenger.

I will definitely be back there next year as well. Looking forward to seeing you photos

Great stuff, looking forward to the vid. My mates bm does 8:55. I've Bern in it on a 9:10 lap and the pace through the twisties is on par or quicker than the gt3s and ring taxi. It's just a 318 though do struggles like hell up keselchen and ex muhle. From Hohe act to the finish it's some serious pace.

what suspension and drop are you running on the car Pete? any arch work done? the wheels look nicely tucked into the arches in those pictures :)

Great stuff, looking forward to the vid. My mates bm does 8:55. I've Bern in it on a 9:10 lap and the pace through the twisties is on par or quicker than the gt3s and ring taxi. It's just a 318 though do struggles like hell up keselchen and ex muhle. From Hohe act to the finish it's some serious pace.

Paul,

I was mentioned to Martin about you and your mate who leaves the car at his place 8) , mine still struggles in the same places!, only car ive had that doesnt was my lightweight Impreza RA.

9.10 was because it was damp through to Foxhole, it was that slippery that my Corrado locked up into Hatzenback without the ABS even having a chance to kick in!, my mate who was following in his Elise S1 on Nitrons and RS2's binned it into the Armco behind me (luckilly not bad, he just took some gelcoat off and didnt mark the Armco), i didnt even get a chance to warn him as i was trying to keep the Corrado on the black stuff!!!, the teg was on RS2's with no ABS so i was treading very gingerly until i hit Foxhole where it was dry, as you know, thats just the thing with the Nordschleife, it can be wet ,damp and dry all in the same lap!!!.

The Teg through from the carousel was just f***ing awesome....

My mate did prefer driving the Corrado over it though as he thought it was just too oversteery for him, i just loved it and put it to good use.

Wet line is totally different you know. The track is like ice if you stay on the dry line in the wet.

I've only got 6 dry laps and one damp lap under my belt, around 70 passenger laps I'd say, mostly with experienced people thankfully.

Hopefully gonna get a few laps in the mk3 golf, gutted not to be taking the rado over, it's what I built it for in the first place!!

Whats the rough cost for a trip to the ring if you dont mind? how much ideally should i be budget for?

Brilliant and nice pics. Wish that second one was slightly less blurry... When it all goes right on the Ring, it's just the most wonderful place. I think if I had to choose anywhere to live out my days, it'd be there!

Really need to sort a visit out there again next year!

i would DEFINITELY be up for a trip to the 'ring - can't even describe how much i've always wanted to go there!

if we do i'll even buy a game in an attempt to familiarise myself with it (and i hate racing games!)

Whats the rough cost for a trip to the ring if you dont mind? how much ideally should i be budget for?

well its 300 or 200 miles to get there from calais or the hook of holland respectively depending how you cross. so:

say £250 for petrol in europe

£50-100 for your crossing

average of £100-150 for petrol this side

75 euros for 4 laps

food and hotels = maybe £60-80 a day

probably ends up being £700ish for a long weekend depending how many laps you want and where you're coming from.