Sign in to follow this  
n3p

VR6 help please - Steam after driving & Jumpy acceleration

Hi all,

Couple of problems with the vr, was wondering if anyone could shed any light?

Firstly, after going for a fairly hard drive the car steamed a bit from the bay when i switched the engine off. It smells like water vapour at a guess, and upon looking it seems to be coming from the area in the picture circled. Any ideas?

Second problem is very random jumpy acceleration. Sometimes if you put your foot down it will slowly pick up and then out of nowhere will wheelspin, etc. Almost like a misfire but it's always at really random revs. I have a problem with my ABS at the moment (sensors were replaced but now seems to be engaging at times under normal braking :shrug: ) could this be the cause? If not then perhaps fuel filter? not sure where to start really!

Oh another thing to mention is that the car doesn't like to idle when cold. I have bought a blue temp sensor which i hope will resolve it, but can this be linked to any of my other problems?

Cheers,

Nick

Hi all,

Couple of problems with the vr, was wondering if anyone could shed any light?

Firstly, after going for a fairly hard drive the car steamed a bit from the bay when i switched the engine off. It smells like water vapour at a guess, and upon looking it seems to be coming from the area in the picture circled. Any ideas?

Second problem is very random jumpy acceleration. Sometimes if you put your foot down it will slowly pick up and then out of nowhere will wheelspin, etc. Almost like a misfire but it's always at really random revs. I have a problem with my ABS at the moment (sensors were replaced but now seems to be engaging at times under normal braking :shrug: ) could this be the cause? If not then perhaps fuel filter? not sure where to start really!

Oh another thing to mention is that the car doesn't like to idle when cold. I have bought a blue temp sensor which i hope will resolve it, but can this be linked to any of my other problems?

Cheers,

Nick

Hiya mate,

Would suggest your steam problem is perhaps a corroded / perished piece of piping??

Random jumpy acceleration could be coil-pack.

The problem idling at cold my VR6 suffered with for a while, but she perked right up after a good service and some Redex :D

Hope some of that helps.

Good luck troubleshooting!!

Id agree with the coil pack causing jumpy acceleration happened to missus VR got worse when it rained replaced and was back to normal

Check your aux water pump isnt leaking maybe thats leaking onto the manifold causing the steam

Nick,

Check the hose I have circled. They have a habit of splitting and leaking on the manifold. Weak engine mounts can cause them to split. It almost looks like there is water residue on the bottom of the hose. DSC00399 - Copy (2).JPG[/attachment:3bdo6gtw]

I have a spare coilpack. If you want you can try swapping to see if it fixes the jumpy acceleration. I replaced mine to try and fix lumpy running when cold/wet. I'm not too sure if it fixed the problem, because it hasn't been cold enough since I replaced it. The old coilpack isn't in great condition, but it runs fine when up to temp so should help diagnose yours.

Nick,

Check the hose I have circled. They have a habit of splitting and leaking on the manifold. Weak engine mounts can cause them to split. It almost looks like there is water residue on the bottom of the hose. DSC00399 - Copy (2).JPG[/attachment:37ts3gz3]

I have a spare coilpack. If you want you can try swapping to see if it fixes the jumpy acceleration. I replaced mine to try and fix lumpy running when cold/wet. I'm not too sure if it fixed the problem, because it hasn't been cold enough since I replaced it. The old coilpack isn't in great condition, but it runs fine when up to temp so should help diagnose yours.

Was going to suggest the very same. That pipe commonly splits at the point circled and could be ready to give way at any moment.. might be getting a few drips, falling down onto the hot exhaust manifold causing the steam!

Thank you everyone for your replies, sorry it took so long I've been a bit busy this weekend!

As the majority votes coil pack, I guess that this will be the place to start!

Nick,

Check the hose I have circled. They have a habit of splitting and leaking on the manifold. Weak engine mounts can cause them to split. It almost looks like there is water residue on the bottom of the hose. DSC00399 - Copy (2).JPG[/attachment:3s6pnzp0]

Thanks for the offer, just checked your location and it isn't too far away so whenever you are free is it okay for me to come down and try it out? Beer tokens will be provided and hopefully we can try and resolve it...tired of the car "holding back"!. Are you nearer to the gatwick side of W Sussex or a bit further onwards? I'm close to the M23.

As for the leak, I think you may be right - just had a quick feel of the hose you mentioned and there was some water there (as well as what looked like vaseline? :cuckoo: - maybe the previous owner applied it as a quick fix). I'll remove it when i have some more time and look for any splits.

Will keep you updated. Thanks again everyone,

Nick

Are you nearer to the gatwick side of W Sussex or a bit further onwards? I'm close to the M23.

No prob. I'm not far from Gatwick, just a few mins off Junction 10 of the M23. I can meet either next weekend or possibly a weekday evening. Send me a PM and let me know what works for you.

Cheers,

Dan

I am going to be at Gatwick VW on Monday (today) at 11.00ish. I can Vag-com it for you if thats any good for you. (Assuming you have an OBD2 port on a 95 VR) Won't show up a coilpack but might throw up somthing? And look at your ABS as well. Neil

Are you nearer to the gatwick side of W Sussex or a bit further onwards? I'm close to the M23.

No prob. I'm not far from Gatwick, just a few mins off Junction 10 of the M23. I can meet either next weekend or possibly a weekday evening. Send me a PM and let me know what works for you.

Cheers,

Dan

PM sent. Cheers!

I am going to be at Gatwick VW on Monday (today) at 11.00ish. I can Vag-com it for you if thats any good for you. (Assuming you have an OBD2 port on a 95 VR) Won't show up a coilpack but might throw up somthing? And look at your ABS as well. Neil

Agh can't believe i missed this opportunity! I work in Central London so i'm not around during the week :( Not sure if i have an OBD2 port or not tbh. Don't suppose you're around on any other days are you?

Cheers,

Nick

I'm near Redhill just off the A23. Around this week up to Thursday lunchtime. PM me if you want to pop by. Day or eve. 95 VR will be OBD2 socket but pull up gear stick gaitor and you will see a multi plug at the front. Three rows of pin holes (not all used). OBD 1 just has 4 pin holes. I only have the lead for OBD 2. Neil

I know Redhill very well (I used to live in Earlswood), but unfortunately i'm free from Friday afternoon onwards! I have next week off work though, will you be around then?

Cheers,

Nick

Just a quick update - waiting on a new hose to arrive to sort out the steaming (Thanks StueyB :salute: )

Car still hesitating - checked through recently replaced parts before I bought the car, in June it had a brand new Ignition coil, sparks and HT leads.....any other ideas? :confused4:

Dan_Storm, Buttles....still around any time soon? Been super busy recently :(