Sign in to follow this  
oneohtwo

Excessive Oil Useage + Major Engine Refurb Costs

My one sounded far better than when it was 12v. Folk say there a more raspy sound which I dont quite get, stick a 2.5in system on and they sound amazing. Its funny watching the plastic inlet bulge as well.

Ben if i was you Id wait and get the plugs checked before thinking about doing anything, that head was originally on my car when I bought it which had apparently been rebuilt but then place Bill used said it wasnt that great a rebuild so it was redone.

My mate is an old schooler, and he's begging me to stick with a 12V... I'm thinking I will do anyway, but apparently the 24v don't sound anywhere near as good

Ooh I dunno about that mate!. I've followed Heresites (R32 corrado) a few times, driving hard, and his sounds epic on full chat :D

That's an R32 not a 24v VR though? Isn't a "24v conversion" essentially just using the Mk4 head (I know there's a lot more to it than that, but it's not essentially a completely different engine is it?)[/quote:3pf8t28x]

Same engine. One is 2.8, the other is 3.2. Cubic capacity doesn't change the exhaust note but yeah, the 2.8 block is near on identical to a 12V AAA block, but with different stud drillings for the 24V head.

It's quite amusing to see history repeat itself. The 2.8 24V is carrying on the AAA 12V's tradition of strength ane reliability, whereas the 3.2 24V is following the footsteps of the ABV as being the fickle one :D