Sign in to follow this  
dan

VR Front Suspension set-up - Is this right?

Hi all,

I'm fitting new top mounts to my VR & would like someone to have a look & tell me if I've got it right. I've fitted the metal bearing between the top red cap on the strut & the mount itself. Then I used the nut with the lip to fix the mount & bearing to the strut. Another question, is the spring the right way up?

Thanks

where's the larger metal 'saucer' shaped thing? from memory my order from engine bay down is:

nut

metal saucer

----- bodywork tower -------

nut

washer

long cylinder with top mount surround

spinning bearing

large circular saucer

spring retaining cap (plastic red thing)

spring \/

where's the larger metal 'saucer' shaped thing? from memory my order from engine bay down is:

That doesn't go on until it's been fitted to the car

Yeh guys realise that! I'll get a.photo of the saucer thing I mean later.

Thanks for the replies guys, I still have the top saucer & 22mm nut to go in after I fit it back into the car. Think I have everything in the right order then :D

Anyone know about the spring? The spring can go in either way but I decided to put the fatter part towards the top just in case it fouls the wheels or anything. Then when I look at it I'm thinking the spring is more compressed at the fatter end so maybe it should be at the bottom for stability :shrug:

ignore me completely :) i've just checked mine and i have it wrong!

ignore me completely :) i've just checked mine and i have it wrong!

:lol: you have it right in the post above, the only things missing from my pic is the top saucer & nut. I'll put those on when fitting to the car. The main thing I was worried about was the metal bearing... I wasn't sure if it went above or below the rubber mount. But now you have all confirmed that it goes between the rubber mount & the red metal cap

thanks all :D

off topic - but where about in Ireland are you from ? :)

(Used to travel a bit around down there - never saw a C around there though)....:)

(Used to travel a bit around down there - never saw a C around there though)....:)

Hi Mawrick, I live in a town called Strabane, it's North West of the country, on the border between Co. Donegal & Co.Tyrone :D

Thanks for the illustration but I have no.7 and no.8 the other way round :shrug:

Hi Mawrick, I live in a town called Strabane, it's North West of the country, on the border between Co. Donegal & Co.Tyrone :D

Thanks for the illustration but I have no.7 and no.8 the other way round :shrug:

Ok - Mostly spend my time in Galway - although traveled most of the country :)

Then you have them mixed - the nut should hold the bearing - not the rubber thingy ;)

Also if you have these type of nuts I think they are not right:

f

it should look more like nr 3 here:

p1000979n.jpg

Guess what... I do have the nuts with the lips on them & I now have them fitted back on the car :(

I think I'll take them out of the car again, lay all the parts out on the floor & post a pic of them on here.

Thanks again all :salute:

there you go nr 6 on that picture is the large saucer i'm talking about :) but you only run that on the standard set up i think.

the thing i found when putting mine on is the turny bearing thing didn't sit on the plastic spring plate very well, in fact there was a gap between it and the top mount which kinda defeats the purpose, maybe it doesn't make a difference!

yea - you can always check with someone else - but I also bought those nuts, and a mechanic with 30+ years experience told me I would be better of using the ones without the "wing" - as the wing doesn't go thru the hole of the rubber thingy - and the nut is pretty much there for holding pressure on the bearing.

The rubber thingy should be "free" anyway :)

there you go nr 6 on that picture is the large saucer i'm talking about :) but you only run that on the standard set up i think.

the thing i found when putting mine on is the turny bearing thing didn't sit on the plastic spring plate very well, in fact there was a gap between it and the top mount which kinda defeats the purpose, maybe it doesn't make a difference!

yea, nr 6 is only for "normal" setup - the red cup (or purple on the KW) replaces this one ;)