Kevin Bacon

The Racelogic Traction Control thread

Following on from the Racelogic TC group buy that Stealth Racing kindly did for us, I thought I'd create this thread to share installation tips, software settings and experiences on the roads etc :D

For those installing it yourself, the attached pic will hopefully get you started.

Right Rear ABS sensor "T55/27" for example, means pin 27 in the 55 pin ABS ECU plug, so it's all pretty easy to trace.

Im getting this installed by Vince but what exactly is involved with fitting? I might just give it a go myself as its the only way to learn I suppose and get a remap done instead when Im down.

It's for ANY car that can spin it's wheels easily :D

I'm not sure what's involved yet. Just doing some wiring research. I had a quick flick through the manual and it doesn't seem that hard to me 8)

Had a quick look through the install instructions and it doesnt look too bad if your fairly competent with a soldering iron. Thats me screwed then :lol:.

Really needing this, Ive had a few hairy moments in the wet on long corners with the speed piled on :pale: .

Installed mine myself. It's all down to the preparation of the looms and connectors. An hour or so in the kitchen with a soldering iron and then an hour or two kneeling in front of the engine. Vince spliced his into the loom just back from the ecu plug, I did mine just under the fan control module. The control box isn't waterproof so you need to bring the whole lot into the car. Did you all order the long injector wires loom? You need it to have enough length to reach inside the car from the injector splice. PM me if you would like a chat. Or have a look. Neil

Lazy route with me - booked in with Vince for the 18th September :lol:

'spose it all depends how much he is charging to fit it compared to how good a sparky you are? As I said in the group buy thread or somewhere if you get the injector splice wrong it will be fun sorting! :help: Just be methodical and it's not difficult.

I'll take pics of the install at each step when I do mine, but not sure when I'll get round to installing it.

As said, it's easy if you're patient and methodical. I built my DTA loom from scratch and found it very easy, and I've never made a loom before, so this shouldn't be too bad at all.

The injectors is the easy bit. The signal wires have 6 different tracer colours, whereas the common 12V is the same colour on each injector, so the polarity and which injector is which is p1ss easy to work out. Just a case of snipping, soldering, taping up.

The ABS is the problem area as the wires aren't so easy to trace, but I'm hoping that diagram will give me the clues I need.

When wires go into the engine bay, insulating tape is for amatuers imo. It unravels itself over time and offers zero chaff and abrasion protection. For that OE look and reliability, I use Raychem fabric heatshrink, which is the nuts :D. I've seen it used on current Audi and BMW looms :salute: - http://uk.farnell.com/tyco-electronics- ... dp/4967240

Kev, the ABS is actually the easyest bit!! When you take the plug apart all the required wires are neatly in a row. DONT cut them!! If you get the connections wrong, dont panic. You can change the wheel corners in the software and check by spinning each wheel to check the LED. Make sure you connect to the signal wire not the sheilding one. Someone near Southam will attest to that :wink: If the kit didn't have the control box bypass plugs it would be a whole lot easier but do wire it in.

Cool! Good tips chap, this thread is working already :D

I meant the ABS was potentially tricky from a finding which wire is the ABS sensor wire point of view, but I've just reminded myself of a neat function on most digital meters - a continuity buzzer :D

What are the white plugs in the kit for? I saw those hanging off the ABS loom in Vince's demo. Can the ABS wires not just be spliced into the signal wires and hidden under the plug cover like you say?

Finding the Wheel speed wires on the ABS plug is even easier than that. They are numbered on the plug. 45 Offside Rear,46 Nearside Rear,47 Offside Front,48 Nearside Front. These then have to be assigned a channel number,1 to 4.The white plugs form the Control box bypass if the unit fails. You just connect the two 'Car side' ones together to get your car running again. If you elect to not have this then your car is immobile untill you replace the box. They are in the Injector loom, nothing to do with the ABS wireing.That is the easiest wireing bit to bugger up. Correct male and female pins in the right socket to match up. So the car side will have one male plug and one female plug so they can be connected if need be. All this at the same time keeping the correct injector wire colour in sequence. I have a hand made colour chart to help. Neil

On my 94 Vr the pin on the ECU for rpm signal is No 22 Green and Black. Vince and I used the Black switched live on the ignition switch for power.

I finally got round to getting the traction control fitted today at Stealth. We had a few issues (bent ABS sensor wheel, and someone at sompoint in my cars life has done some very interesting wiring modification to the injector loom - like wiring it backwards). However Vince and boys soldiered through and got it done :D . He then took me out for a test drive and frightened the willies out of me with launch control :lol: . One thing though, on the way home I blew off a boost pipe. Not sure on the cause there as we were moving things round while changing the battery, however in a situation where some heavy boost is being used and held on WOT ready for launch, make sure your clamps are done up tight people. All in all, can definately recommend the setup.

Excellent! I gave thought to fitting mine today, but cutting the grass and doing the weeding took priority (god I'm getting old) , followed by changing the rocker gasket and straight arm on a mate's A6 Quattro.

So have you found some wet tarmac and nailed the gas down yet? :D

No, unfortunately it was too dry today Kev. I told Vince he needed a skidpan as an addition to the workshop :lol: . Nailed it coming round a roundabout though, and it just hung in there - very impressive piece of kit.

I really need this fitted. The slip road I have to accelerate up every morning is only about 20 yards long, so I have to give it some, but not too much. The other day I had the gas hard down in 2nd and 3rd with a lorry bearing down on me and it just sat there spinning going nowhere. It's at times like that I get tempted to chop it in for an R32, LOL! :lol: But yeah, I think this will really help in that situation 8)

For the time it takes to do you will be glad you did. Makes everyday driving much easier/relaxed with all that uumph. Turned mine off the other day just to remind myself how useless (Read...scary) the car is in even the slightest of damp conditions. Neil

Oh, something to point out which might be useful to people doing this themselves. The setup highlighted an ABS issue which wasn't serious enough to cause my ABS light to stay on, but neverthless gave the traction control problems as the signal from one of my ABS sensors kept dropping out due to a bent wheel rotor. Make sure your ABS system is tip top before setting it up.

just a little question

does this system need the abs system to be workin to work?

i know the sensors have to work but what i mean is if you just had the wireing in place from each wheel sensor does it need to have a workin abs ecu to work or could you just tap it into the wires on there own and it work?

Yes, I recon is the answer. The T\C takes a tapping off a live sensor. When I was testing mine I managed to trip off the ABS and the T\C stopped working.

Yes, I recon is the answer. The T\C takes a tapping off a live sensor. When I was testing mine I managed to trip off the ABS and the T\C stopped working.

cheers for the reply mate, looks like ill have to buy the racelogic sensors then, :camp: :lol: