Sign in to follow this  
8vMatt

State of Brand New Cars Paintwork

I've noticed the standard of paintwork on new cars looks like its getting worse, or is it just me getting more OCD about the finish of my car.

When I look at the reflection of new paint, loads of cars have a real orange peel finish to them. All bumpy looking. Would I be expecting too much to have a glass like reflection on a new car?

Speaking to a sprayer mate recently, he confirmed the finish they get after flatting back the paint is better than leaving the factory. I'm amazed people buying new cars don't seem to notice it or let it bother them! I realise the finish in high end stuff is very good from factory. If I spent £20-30k then I'd expect a lot more than whats being offered, not that I'll have to worry about it really (won't be spending out on a new car anytime soon)!

swirls and orange peel are VERY common on new cars, see it all the time! they do like giving you some extra paint and laquer :lol:

i would 100% wet sand it

I don't think most of the general public, who buy a car to get from A to B, are particularly bothered.

If there was a scratch or something they might complain but even then would be likely to accept a standard of repair that many of us could see had been done (I'm now able to see flaws in paint whereas a few years ago I wouldn't have).

I think it's another aspect of the throw away society we live in. A car is thought to be too old and unreliable once it gets to 5 or 6 years (and even only 3 years in some people view as they have to get an MOT :shock: ). If you don't buy something with the thought of looking after it for years you care less about the condition you aquire it in.

Only my view of course. :shrug:

the finish on new cars is down to the time, cost and type of paints used in the automated production process, was reading the other day about brand new top end BMW's going in for machine cutting and polishing before delivery to 1st owners, to give a top notch finish.

The chap I bought my compressor from restored vintage mustangs, to get the quality of mirror finish his customers wanted they did 15 coats of paint with flatting back between each :shock:

you should see the depth of shine though, no joke he had a black mustang in his paint booth and you could clearly see the graduation marks all the way down a metre measuring stick held against the paint 8)

Looked around the Audi dealership last week and the orange peel finish on almost every car was a joke. If I'd paid for bodywork and received a similar finish I'd ask for my money back. As already mentioned most people wouldn't notice and so manufactures get away with quick poor quality paint jobs...

Orange peel appears to be particularly bad on Audi and BMW's in recent years. Japanese paint quality appears tobe better but the payoff is thinner paint

Bear in mind some orange peely finishes aren't like that from the factory, but due to being repainted prior to sale. You'd be surprised how many 'brand new' cars have been reglassed and repainted before going to the showrooms, due to transit damage. You can spot a silly thick layer of paint applied by a human just as easily as you can a pristine paint job. Robots tend to deliver very consistent finishes somewhere between the 2 extremes.

A car is thought to be too old and unreliable once it gets to 5 or 6 years (and even only 3 years in some people view as they have to get an MOT :shock: )

Yep, my parents are of that mind set. My Dad had an 03 plate Alfa 147, which was actually a reliable car. One day he just announced he was getting rid of it. Why? Because it was on 98K and he thought it would turn to dust at 100K!

Even in 2010 people *still* think cars are completely dead and worthless by 100K :roll: :lol:

Personally, I feel people should be forced to keep a car they buy from new for 5 years. I have no idea where this trend for new cars every 1 or 2 years comes from, but it's just wasteful. Nearly as bad as the scandalous amount of food waste that Supermarkets create.

I have no idea where this trend for new cars every 1 or 2 years comes from, but it's just wasteful. Nearly as bad as the scandalous amount of food waste that Supermarkets create.

+1 !!!!!!!

BMW are having paint problems though strangely they won't admit it, American owners of Frozen Gray M3's having to sign a "maintenance agreement" which requires them to immediately clean off bird droppings and that if they wax or polish their cars they will invalidate their paint warranty. Apparently the laquer isn't tough enough though BMW won't admit it. Part of the reason is being blamed on water based finishes. In addition a lot of cars apparently are quite bad with orange peel effect due to the paint being dried to quickly.

a very informative thread. i want to learn to spray so good to know things like this.

i strongly believe bringing out a new reg every 6 months hasnt helped with what people believe to be old.

thankfully im stuck in the past and much prefer "old bangers" to 99% of new cars.

I bought a brand new V70 in march of last year in black and although it looked good on delivery all shiny and new - the amount of marks from bird lime, scratches from bushes etc 18 months later is alarming. I think the paintwork on older cars was definately of better quality and you would have thought with todays scientific advances they would have developed a paint that was resistant to bird sh*t.