Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

Battery/Power drain

Hey all,

Having a slight problem with the C. The battery was flat and the engine wouldnt turn over about a week ago, so I jumped it with my Mk2. It was fine for about a week, then it went into the garage last week to get the gear cables replaced. I tried to start it on Sunday and was flat again. I then jumped it again yesterday and ran it for 10 mins to charge up. Then I tried to start is this morning to go to work and it's dead again..., :mad:

Also is it worth getting one of these solar cell battery trickle chargers and leave it on hte dash whilst conencted to the cigarette lighter so I can keep it charged, anyone have experience with these? I can't believe that the battery is shagged after only 5 months...., The car has a Clifford Concept 50 CAT 1 alarm fitted and as the battery voltage is obviously low it doesn't agree with this and keeps going off as the voltage drop sensor notices. The alarm will go off and then it cannot be reset using the remote keyfob i.e it keeps sounding although you press the disarm button..., I'm not popular with neighbours right now...,

The battery is 5 months old and is under warranty, I had a secondhand Kenwood MASK headunit fitted last month and the interior lights etc are all ok and switch off correctly. The alternator is new 5 months ago. Can anyone help me out here as this is driving me crazy ! And in a few days I won't have the Mk2 to keep jumping the C as it's getting sold ! Should I just remove the battery and charge it overnight using mains charger then if same problem happens take it to an auto electricians?

Cheers

BigTartanG60

again yesterday and ran it for 10 mins to charge up

U need to go a good hour to charge up the battery enough! If its not holdong charge it needs replaced.

There is the possibility of a short somewhere thats draining it. To test that idea, take the + off at night and see if its flat in the moring....If its flat then its goosed, if its not, then it may a current drain somewhere (or it might just of not lost charge yet).

HTH

Mate I had the same problem a few weeks back, I changed the battery and it turned out to be the alarm which was draining it. So I now keep it in Valet mode till I get a new one fitted.

To test the alternator connect a multimeter to the battery and see what the voltage is, it should be about 13-14.5volts. this means that the alternators charging the battery. Turn on all the electrics while the car is running and the voltage should remain about the same, if not then the alternator is not up to the job.

Good luck mate.

Hey all,

Problem was that my Clifford alarm was draining the battery after not using it for so long and leaving it armed. Have bought a solar battery saver from Maplin Electronics to keep the charge topped up, £20 bargain and stops annoying flat batteries :)

Also had the battery changed to a new one under the warranty as the charge indicator said is was dead even when charged for 15 hrs,

Nice,

BigTartanG60

The problem is exactly the same as mine! Flat battery, Clifford Concept 50, keeping neighbours awake. My VR6 will no longer hold any charge and has to be jumped every time. I too have to leave it armed and standing in a garage for a few weeks at a time.

Has your alarm been replaced/repaired?

Can you get your remotes working again?

Any other advice, I'll do all the above posts?

Thank in advance

Iain

*Mod edit - removed double post for you - Henny*

Iain,

I'd advise you to go and get one of these solar battery savers which mount on the dash and plug into lighter socket. They only need light and not direct sunlight, and keep the battery chrage topped up. However, it sounds like you also might need a new battery as yours wont hold charge. Best to remove battery from car, charge overnight or 15 hrs, then try and use to start, or just get voltage tested at a garge. New battery £40-50....,Get one that is under warraty so it will be replaced free of charge if there is a problem - try Autosave Components in King Street or Mastrick. Doh! Just read you leave yours in a garage..., not much chance of light getting in there...,

I heard that if you leave the car in valet mode it uses a lot less power, but to leave armed continuosly will drain the battery inside a week or two. Also, if your garage has power, you can buy these battery savers from Halfords that plug into mains and keep charge topped up by connecting direct to battery or 12V cigarette lighter. I didn't need to get the alarm repaired or replaced and my remotes are working too, no problems. Hope this is of some help and maybe see you at some of the local Aberdeen meets in the near future? PM me and I'll send details,

Cheers

BigTartanG60

i have that problem too!!

clifford g4 alarm-if car is left a few days the battery is flat- had the battery tested and its goosed- getting aonother one...

cheers

Wondering if I'm suffering with a similar gripe. I've got a Quantum in mine though. Gave the battery a full charge the other day, drove it around for about an hour or so - left it for a day (needs me beer!), went to start it and nothing. Well, apart from the alarm going off. Another popular neighbour favourite! Wondering if the battery is hosed... Would explain the alarm going off at random times. Does anyone have a similar problem with the Quantums in 90 spec C's? Looks like I'll be taking another trip to the auto-spark.

Lates

randal