Sign in to follow this  
science

Vr6 Cams Kent Profile??

I'm just starting a engine rebuild on my ABV vr6, and thinking about some cams.

Has anyone had good results with Kent cams in a VR6?

Looks like a cheap option (exchange)

Here's some data, how does this sound?

Part No: VR602

Application: Sports Injection

Power Band: 2000-6500

Cam Lift Inlet/Exhaust: .431"

Valve Lift Inlet/Exhaust: .431"

Duration Inlet/Exhaust: 264°

Timing Figures: 22/62 62/22

Inlet Exhaust @ Full Lift: 110°

V/Clearance Inlet/Exhaust .000"

Here's a quick plot of the valve openings for the Kent cams vs. a set of Shrick 264s, the kents have more overlap than the shricks, with the inlet opening later and the exhaust sooner. Each valve is open for 264 degrees. The Kent cams have about 10.95mm lift as opposed to 10.2mm lift for standard and 11.4 for the shricks.

Also looking at this as you can pick them up for not a lot, missed out on some SP263's and these are the next alternative without spending money importing them. In real terms what does that graph mean? Sorry for being a thicko..

It shows how open the valves are against the position of the crankshaft. The engine does two revolutions in a complete compression cycle.

Interesting, I would have thought as they are the same profile they would be the same! So the kents are slightly milder as they have more overlap?

Actually more overlap means more top end, and a less smooth idle. Lower lift means slightly less aggressive, however. They probably perform similarly but if anything the Schricks would probably be more torquey.

Also speaking to Fourseasons across the pond who can do me Autotech 262's for around the same price delivered. I just don't know what to go for but need to sort it quick as the cars going in for chains and clutch and want it done at the same time!

It's also worth noting that I just assumed a nice smooth curve for the cam profile, it might in fact have a different shape to the one I've guessed at.

Right,

Apologies for completely hijacking this thread but I have whittles it down to the following within my price range (some new, some used and some from the US) Just don't know what is the better one to go for, I don't want to have to redline it for results I would like a bit of scream when needed but also for some more lower down grunt.

Choices are now out of:

SP263's

Autotech 262's

Dougherty 268's

Cat cams 263/4's

Kent cams 264's

Please help!

hi

try autosprint (google it for more info) hes near birmingham he will grind you a pair of cams no probs price is competive as long as you supply the original (very high quality) vw cams he can do a variety of profiles for you and is a proper bloke who knows what hes doing give him a bell!

andy

Looks good, though I'd need them in and out in a day so not really an option! Will email and see whether he has any VR6 cams in stock and whether I can send mine in after fitting.

I have some old spare VR cams. Might be worth having a word with DG too as I heard a rumour they had been working out a cam spec for VRs...

May give you a shout for those if that seems the best option. I've emailed Graham to ask whether they have developed anything.

Cheers :-)

The top 3 of your list all have a good reputation.

Kent didn't have a very good reputation in the 90s. Rumours surrounding regrinds not lasting etc etc, so I don't trust them personally.

Cat I've never heard of, but could be good!

FWIW

I had kent cams fitted to my vr golf it has done over 70,000 troublefree miles since, it still runs sweet as a nut,the cams have outlasted one set of genuine hydraulic tappets,it delivers power right to the top although i cant compare i would say you do loose some midrange torque but gain it at the top i was running a sports cat and scorpion sytem with bored out throttle body,and cone air filter,and standard ecu.when we fitted the cams the looked fine I had previously read Kev's comments abouty regrinds,but the ones i installed were and still look fine

hi

the guy at autosprint (who ground my cams from vw originals) assured me that they would last fine and its true ive done 50k miles on them and no wear at all maybe its because vw cams are particulary hard wearing! unlike for example vauxhall cams which appear to be made from some sort of cheese! i changed an old 8v at the weekend and it had at least a 1mm wear lip on the lobes!! the followers were concave!! at around 120k miles so there might be some truth in the regrinds wearing quickly i guess it depends on the manufacturer and how deep the case hardening is and the strength of the original material!