Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Anyone have a Miltek on their mk4 4Motion?

I have a damn annoying rattle from the exhaust on my 4Mo that is increasingly looking like something internal. I've had it looked at a couple of times including the exhaust removed by VW at its service last week... and apparently they found a stone inside it (!) but that has still not fixed the rattle. I'm going to get it looked at again but I'm suspecting I'll either have to live with the rattle or replace it (I'm a bit anal and like things right on my cars so just living with it probably isn't an option). A Miltek has been suggested rather than the more expensive OE exhaust.

Does anyone have any experience of Milteks on a mk4 4Mo and are they good/bad/noisy? Personally I'm more of an OE man so wouldn't want it to be excessively loud or too obviously aftermarket (I like the subtle look of the OE tailpipe).

I had a non-resonated Milltek fitted to my 4Mo - smae twin tailpipes as standard spec, good quality and the noise was superb, lovely burble at tickover, howled towards the redline but no noisier than stndard at normal cruising speeds. If you wanted to be extra safe go for the resonated system that has a centre box, if you appreciate the VR burble then its got to be non-resonated

Thanks. Do you know if non resonated is much louder than resonated at, say 3.5k revs? My wife sometimes drives the car and she'd probably moan if it was too loud on a motorway.

At 3.5k the non-resonated is a tiny bit louder than the standard exhaust, absolutely not intrusive though, I would imagine the resonated system is as quiet as standard, I went for the non-resonated as it allowed the VR burble to rerally come through when being worked hard but no less refined when cruising

Ive been looking into a new exhaust for mine and Milltek seems to be the way to go. Id imagine the Non res version will give the car the noise it is missing. I love the car and the drive but there just isnt enough of a soundtrack..

Goldie - the non-resonated was a no brainer for me, JMR knows me well and he said that I'd be disappointed with the resonated system, quality of the system seemed better than for Corrados as well but still not a patch on the Eisenmann on the BMW

Well that was a nice turn up for the books. I took it back to the dealer again today for another try at diagnosing it, having been a little worried that I would replace the exhaust and still have the rattle. They managed to track it down to the brake shield and have fixed it... and given me a refund on the previous work to remove and investigate the exhaust :)

my brother has a non resonated miltek on he's 4mo and it does soung great, if you want to replace it with a standard system let me no as he kept the original one which is in mint condition.

karl

Well that was a nice turn up for the books. I took it back to the dealer again today for another try at diagnosing it, having been a little worried that I would replace the exhaust and still have the rattle. They managed to track it down to the brake shield and have fixed it... and given me a refund on the previous work to remove and investigate the exhaust :)

Wow thats good of them! Where abouts was that?

It was Colbornes in Walton, Surrey. I'd already agreed with them that I wouldn't be charged if the exhaust wasn't fixed. But yes it was good of them :)

You might think I'm being a bit funny about this, but since when did this place become the bloody MkIV 4Motion forum?

You might think I'm being a bit funny about this, but since when did this place become the bloody MkIV 4Motion forum?

It isn't. But it became the 'general car chat forum' some time ago. Otherwise most of the threads on here, about 'which ccar next', or 'car xxxx to be dropped' etc would be in the wrong place ;)

so the threads about whats the best pie. And whats the best sandwich filling and all the guff about ham should be deleted then? Get a life.

so the threads about whats the best pie. And whats the best sandwich filling and all the guff about ham should be deleted then? Get a life.

Yes delete all of them, except the best way to cook eggs - I like that one !! :lol:

my brother has a non resonated miltek on he's 4mo and it does soung great, if you want to replace it with a standard system let me no as he kept the original one which is in mint condition.

karl

Only just seen this. Thanks, much appreciated, but it's sorted now :)