Sign in to follow this  
WigsVR6

Clutch judder

Just a quickie. Had a new clutch fitted when I had my timing chains done and I've noticed a judder from the clutch when I move the car from a standing start in reverse or 1st when just using tick over revs. Is this normal? just the clutch bedding in? or something to worry about?

Thanks Alan

I suppose it could be oil or grease contamination of the new clutch, but I tend to agree with Supercharged, do you know what make of clutch you had fitted, LUK or sachs tend to be pretty good.

Could be a knackered gearbox mount

good point, or front mount I guess, both could cause engine 'bouncing' as the clutch is let up.

Had a brand new mount fitted to the rear end of the engine (nearest the coil pack) on that side anyway. Unfortunatley I dont know what make the clutch is. The car as got to go back for an oil change after 1000 miles anyway but I'll continue to monitor the situation and if it still persists then I'll get the mechanic to have another look.

Thanks Alan

The Corrado VR6 is known to suffer from this when you fit *any* after-market clutch. No matter the quality, they just aren't quite right somehow. Buy a VW one.

Update. Still running in the engine and completed 500 miles now since the clutch was fitted. All clutch judder as ceased now so I recon it must of been contaminated with oil/grease. Result.

I've had no end of clutches in mine over the years, and they all juddered, even VW ones. They just seem to take an inordinate amount of time to bed in fully compared to the factory fitted parts, but even to this day, there is still a slight judder just off idle if you get the load / revs wrong.