Sign in to follow this  
Ricardo da force

Really want a Corrado - VR6 , G60 or 16V?

Hi,

I am sure this has been covered before but nothing recent.

I want a to get a Corrado, preferably as young as possible but i guess its the condition of the car thats more important than the age.

I am looking for a VR6 and can afford one 2-3K but the main concern is the maintenance costs after purchase. I am ok with the possible costs to replace the chain/clutch as this is a one off cost. But I have now read that repairs/parts that are relatively cheap on other cars can be expensive on corrados, i.e a £500+ bill is not uncommon.

Is a G60 a cheaper option to maintain?

I would even have considered a 16v if it wasn't for the fact that it has less power than my MK3 golf GTI 16v....

Jesus. Can you really buy a decent VR6 for £2-3k these days? I know the price of these cars has dipped, but thats crazy.

Yes yes you can. And maintenance costs aren't much more than any other 15 year old car in my opinion.....

I reckon its down to your luck, u can buy a 3k sh*tter or a 2k gem!

Regardless of that though i do think that vr's cost a bit more to run than valvers (ive now owned both), cant comment on G's.

I say go VR if insurance is cheap enough and u can find a decent one which u can no probs for 3k.

At this price range if you look about you can get between 100K to 150K with FSH. Although an alarming number out there don't have any!

When buying my golf I was advised mileage isn't a problem if theres regular history, is this the same with VRs

Insurance isn't a problem, its another £100 a year over my MK3 golf gti 16v.

Are there any other expensive routine jobs that I can check for in the bills?

It seems to me that these cars canbe run pretty cheaply if you're able / prepared to get dirty and do lots of jobs yourself. If you need a garage to do everything for you then its going to be a nightmare owning a C.

G's arent exactly low maintenance, old and highly strung engines. But when they run good, you cant not smile.

Id say a late valver would be the most sensible option, but theres a few 20v turbos around which is worth considdering.

I'd say get a VR6, but then I am a bit biased :grin:

I paid quite a bit more than 2-3K for mine, but she's in awesome nick and other than the expected MOT and service costs for a 16(ish) yr old car, she's been great to me.

My other half paid a lot less for his VR than I did, but it turned out to have been much neglected and he paid A LOT to try and get it back to what it should be, but it was no end of trouble and on paper it was 'posher' than mine (air-con, leather seats etc etc).

I had people try to encourage me to go for a valver when I said I wanted a Corrado (think they were worried about me going from a 999cc fiesta to a 2.9L beast) but I've been glad every day since I bought my baby that I got a VR6 :luvlove: but like everything, it's a personal choice. I'd agree with Toad. Drive the ones you like and see which one gives you warm fuzzies and then worry about the price tag :lol: