Sign in to follow this  
g60greeny

recommended ice setup

good evening :)

just wondering if anyone could recommend me a goood set up for my g60,im not wantin top end stuff,but im not wantin kacka either :)

Audioscape doorpods or build your own if you're handy with MDF and fibreglass.

Decent headunit (Nakamichi gets my vote but they're not the most reliable cd mechanisms!)

6.5" components (JBL for budget, Rainbow or DLS if you want to spend more, HAT if you want to spend lots.)

10"/12" sub in boot

3 channel amp to power comps&sub. (Genesis? Old school Denon or Rockford Fosgate?)

Sound deadening in doors (and elsewhere?)

Look out for second-hand bargains on the forums (especially Talk Audio) and the bay.

Well I haven't tried but looks like you can still buy them new (although their website is down...again) but they are/were pricey!

I'd be up for having a go at building my own, but I'd want a spare set of oem pods to do it on first and they seem pretty rare as well.

You need a decent headunit and then you can get by with cheaper speakers and amps if you install it all correctly, cabling, sound proofing, position of speakers and mounted correctly.

20% of your budget should be on good installation practices.

I've recently picked up a good HU, can I get away with spending some money on some good speakers and make use of the standard holes?

course you can, some half decent components would sort it, get some tweeters in the dash to, then a sub and amp in back job done :D

You need a decent headunit and then you can get by with cheaper speakers and amps if you install it all correctly, cabling, sound proofing, position of speakers and mounted correctly.

20% of your budget should be on good installation practices.

Agreed. A well fitted budget system can easily sound better than a poorly fitted expensive system!

Nice one chaps. I think I'll go down this route, suits my ideas for the car much better anyway, as I only wanted the audioscapes because they were so OEM.

I'm after something good quality, not just loud and boomy. Think audiophile not clubber. Suggestions welcome but I'm thinking of ditching the rear speakers and having some components run through an amplifier at the front with the tweeters mounted in the OEM tweeter position.

Nice one chaps. I think I'll go down this route, suits my ideas for the car much better anyway, as I only wanted the audioscapes because they were so OEM.

I'm after something good quality, not just loud and boomy. Think audiophile not clubber. Suggestions welcome but I'm thinking of ditching the rear speakers and having some components run through an amplifier at the front with the tweeters mounted in the OEM tweeter position.

Sounds good to me. Rear speakers can be used, but only really for rear fill. You can retain them and run them off the head unit internal amplifier.

Sorry to butt in. Where would you suggest buying sub/amp/box from ? Or would you source them separately ?

Halfrauds seem to have some decent offers on but I've got no idea what's what :confused4:

caraudiosecurity maybe?

If you ever search for an audio product they tend to pop up high on google and have competitive prices. A friend of mine got a some vibe speakers and an amp from there which arrived in good time etc.

anyone got a Vibe: CBR12 EVO Active V2 - 12" Active sub + Wiring Kit ? any good ?

Vibe stuff is good in putting full vibe set up in mine, space 12" bandpass , space components, vibe rectangle 6*9's ;) , slick vibe stuff is their budget range, cbr mid, space top. Will be listing 4 different subs an a amp on here within the next week.

Hello mate, I do not have massive budget but have just boxed smart with my money and bits and pieces I could get for the cash I have. I bought some eton components with Crossovers (which are absolutlely excellent, with Pionner 8 inch round 3 way speakers and an Pioneer head with 5 x 40 watt intergrated amp. I have found that this combo has been absolutely excellent. For me the component speakers and rear speakers in my own stealth shelf give me enough bass to rattle the interior without taking up boot space or the need for an amp. It is so easy to go the whole hog but I think in many cases it is really not neaded. I did try looking for amps, subs etc etc etc. But in the end my set up has been enough to impress me or anyone that has been in the car.