Sign in to follow this  
g60 supercharger

mk 1 s3 or mk tt

hi guys just want to know wat u guys think bout these two car i was thinkin tt roadster or the s3 defo want quattro :grin:

but i've heard bad stuff bout the tt but this can be fixed with some mods right?

thanks andy

I own a MK1 TT 225 Coupe, there are common faults on the car but go onto ''The TT forum'' and have a read.

Its an awesome car and i smile from ear to ear every time i get into it and push the go fast pedal :)

Thats really wierd I have been thinking about both for the past week as well, although not the roadster....... so I will also be interested in the replys.

I have always loved the S3 but never had the chance to have a go in one and the MK1 TT is becoming more and more appealing.......for some reason I have only found the TT more appealing since the new one came out, I think it makes the MK1 look much more aggressive. I like the idea of the V6 aswell, and the cabins look plush - I actually quite fancy the blue leather ones :camp:

S3 is a lovely car but a real bland drive and the TT is nice but I find visability and practicality poor.

For that kind of money I would probably go for a mint Mk4 4 Motion plus couple of choice mods..

i got an s3 a month ago, absolutely loving it.

Hope you dont mind me asking how much you paid for it and the spec ?? did you look for long and did you see many, any things that you can think of we should look out for ??

Leonard the Mk4, although a good buy I'm sure, does nothing for me........ sorry G60 supercharger dont mean to hijack your thread :) was thinking of posting the same thread a few weeks back.

Both cars are good. I owned a Mk1 TT for 3 years from 2005-2008. A nice 1.8T 225bhp quattro in Moro blue with silver/grey leather interior. You need to be careful of maintenance costs. I had to get a new Xenon headlight as the whole unit failed and the only way to replace them is to take the whole front bumper off. Needless to say all these tasks were beyond me so I went to the Audi dealer and boy did it hurt - £900 taken off me just before Xmas :p .

Obviously all things are relative and it depends on your budget etc but both cars use the Mk 4 golf chassis so the motoring press always said they were dynamically challenged. However my TT stuck to the road like glue. Having said that I actually think the Corrado is a better drivers car.

Hope you dont mind me asking how much you paid for it and the spec ?? did you look for long and did you see many, any things that you can think of we should look out for ??

Leonard the Mk4, although a good buy I'm sure, does nothing for me........ sorry G60 supercharger dont mean to hijack your thread :) was thinking of posting the same thread a few weeks back.

yea it was 7k, 03 plate ming blue with white leather interior; air con, audi concert stereo; completely standard.

I looked for around a month but the things to look for are:

(High mileage)

- Cambelt replaced and where (audi means tensioners have usually been done also)

- Haldex last serviced as the quattro controller going can be quite expensive

- Rear springs corroding (this is a fault with the chassis (i believe) the base of the spring collects water and corrodes over time eventually snapping)

- Rust at bottom of doors

- Rust in the roof rails

- Excessive play in the steering

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, i have another thread from audi-sport forum bookmarked on another comp i'll post tomorrow (if i'm allowed to post links to other forums?)

yea it was 7k, 03 plate ming blue with white leather interior; air con, audi concert stereo; completely standard.

(High mileage)

- Cambelt replaced and where (audi means tensioners have usually been done also)

- Rear springs corroding (this is a fault with the chassis (i believe) the base of the spring collects water and corrodes over time eventually snapping)

- Rust in the roof rails

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head, i have another thread from audi-sport forum bookmarked on another comp i'll post tomorrow (if i'm allowed to post links to other forums?)

Thanks mate :salute: .......That is the colour combo I really like as well.

(High mileage)

- Rust in the roof rails

hey culshaw - I'm also looking into S3 mk1's - simply due to the stupid €1,200euro tax over here on 2.9 engine size. Just can't do it anymore :(

my query regards the rear springs you mention above. On the Phase 1 model I had ( a red S3 1999) the rear driver wheel collapsed in due to rear suspension arm linkage thingy (sorry not very tech savvie). I looked into this, and saw that Audi recalled the phase 1 to have these componants replaced. Being a Birmingham (!) car, this was never done.

It just surprises me that even though your car is 2003, you feel that there's still cause for concern. Is that the case? I'd really hoped to get a 2001 model and not have to worry about a similier situations occuring.

cheers :salute:

nope i wasn't referring to '03 models i was sweeping the board for all models to help you guys.

it also holds a bit of bargaining power ;)