Sign in to follow this  
Stevie B

New Golf

Just wondering what anyone thinks of the mk 5 golf. I think it looks pretty good, although i read it's bigger than the mk4. Just keeps on getting bigger each mk! Anyone think it's lost it's appeal, can't help thinking they did a great job with the mk1 and 2 and that they have more appeal. I realise that the build quality will be superior than the mk1 and 2, but i think it's just become a rep mobile, or am i being too harsh!! :D

The new Golf Mk5? smiley-kotz.gif

From the side it looks like the new Ford Fiesta, from the front like some non-descript rice-cooker, from the rear like a Peugeot 307. That's probably why the VW-logo gets bigger and bigger as well with each new generation :lol:

Tempest

I'm not sure about it yey... it may grow on me. I suppose it's credability depends on what the GTi (or what ever they're gonna call it) is like.

mind you... I would'nt buy one myself!

i like the back & the way u open the boot 8) but the front :2gunfire: :porc: ugly :pukeright: :pukeleft: wasn`t it possible 2 make those lights just a little bit bigger :cuckoo:

Dreadful. It looks like a Peugeot 307 from just about any angle, and that car is a complete pudding too.

About the only positive thing I can find to say about the G5 is that at least it doesn't appear to have been designed by Chris Bangle.

I like it.

It's clearly a natural progression for VW and is in keeping with the times, don't forget it has independant rear suspension (about time!) so the forthcoming high performance models are going to be sweet handlers. You must also remember that it is because of the customers that cars are the way they are these days.....they want more for less.

Looking on the bright side for you purists.....there's still 1000s of MK2s and a few MK1s kicking about to remind us of what was and I'm sure the MK5 is going to have some useful parts we can use on our Corrados......like that independant rear setup for example :lol:

K

alot nicer in the flesh me thinks, off to test drive one on sunday, the mrs likes em and thinks it will be a good family motor instead of the C :( . the equivalent to the gti is the 150bhp 2.0fsi called a GTI (FSI) :?: :?: . HAVE THEY LOST THERE MINDS. past experience would say call it a GOLF GTI :!: :!: :!: :!: . its worked for the last 4 marks :roll:

Nah.....the "GTI" will be the 2.0 FSI Turbo.....not out till later this year... Apparently there isn't much you can do with the FSI in terms of tuning, but I'm sure Oettinger etc are already working on something!

yeah.... thats what i'm drivin on sunday. the vw stealers in bristol have got one :? still called an FSI :? :? :?

saw my first one last night and didn't actually realise it was there until someone pointed it out. bland euro box that looks like the b4stard hybrid clone of a 307 and a focus! so glad my pops got a mk4

The same things were said of the MK3 and MK4 when they were launched

And I still don't like 'm despite the hot models, still think they look too "common-garden"-ish. But then again, since the Mk1 I've never liked the Golfs any more :oops:

Tempest

I'm with you kev on this one, saw one tonight looked alright for a basic model, let's wait and see wot the gti look's like on the road :wink:

First impressions are that it's *ok* but it's looks are hardly groundbreaking. It's just another middle of the road eurobox, albeit a good quality one, but I guess that's how VW want to keep it. :roll:

Do like the '30 years in the making' ad that's on telly at the moment though! :new-bday:

bloody good year 1974!! :lol: :lol: :-P :cheers:

I'm with you kev on this one, saw one tonight looked alright for a basic model, let's wait and see wot the gti look's like on the road :wink:

Well if the MkIII and MkIV are anything to go by, the GTi will look exactly the same as the stock one aside from 16" wheels (whoooo!) and a GTi badge, so don't expect the MkV to be treated much different.

Of course late MkIV GTis started to wear 18" BBS and more aggressive bumpers, but that change took 5 or 6 years to happen on the MkIV so don't hold your breath for something to replace the GTi Anniversary / R32 in the looks stakes.

Nah.....VW will suprise us, you wait and see :lol:

OK, from the MK3 to last year, about 10 years.....nothing...... but over the past couple of years, just look what they've been up to :- R32, Buggatti Veyron, Bentley GT, Passat W8, Phaeton, Off roader, co-development of twin-clutch box with Audi, Lupo GTI, Toureg V10 diesel (555 lb/ft torque!) and a potential new roadster......and now the MK5 with independant rear suspension. So just shows how much cash VW have sunk into new developments and clearly an overhaul of the marketing department..... they are getting with the program....at last.

The good news with the MK5 is it's launch date is perfect because Ford's Focus cosworth isn't going to be what people where hoping for, so VW can now strap 4WD to the MK5 floor and pick from a multitude of tasty motors (like a 300bhp R32 for example) and blow the Cossie into the weeds..... :-P

You're always going to get people turning their nose up at new models but I guarantee a hot MK5 in the flesh is going to win many friends.

As I say....it's all market driven, you can't accuse VW of being boring because this is exaclty what the customers want.......all the hot motors will killed off in the mid 90s....and now they're coming back again...

K