Sign in to follow this  
Rams

Struggling to remove driver side hadlamp

Am I missing a trick? I removed the passenger side headlamp with no problems, apart from drilling the old rusty screws out.... But the driver side will not come out and dont want to force it. The lugs come away but there seems to be something holiding it towards the centre of the unit. I can see a screw in a plastic clamp on the passenger side, but this side seems different with no head or screw ?

Cheers

You know about the third screw down the back / behind the headlight, right?

Have u removed 3 screws from the drivers side? If only the top 2 but u can't get it out, there must be a 3rd in the same place as the passengers...

Maybe someone's tried before and destroyed/pulverised the screw head?

Yes sounds familiar. Either drill the bolt or use a junior hacksaw to cut it in two. Awkward but do able as i've done it a few times.

yer 3 screws .2 at the top and 1 you need a long screwdriver to get to.you will see it if you get a torch and shine it down the hole in slam panel.i would buy 2 new uns as they rust bad down there

Well, the passenger side wasnt screwed in, I dont think but has a screw head with a few threads showing at the end, the driver side one looks likes its a flat piece of rusty metal! Thanks guys, I will drill it out and replace. Thankfully all the plastics came off so I could give them a good clean. Pics of passenger with correct screw but rusty and the second is the one that wont come out, it looks like a nut but its completely round and very rusty.

A few better pics of what's involved as Jim was asking about what's what with removing headlights last weekend.

These are of my 8v and the condition of it is shocking... It's the first time I've looked at removing the headlights from it but I managed to remove the 3rd screw thank heavens...

Super clear pictures, spot on. Will have it removed tomorrow. Will probably give the metal a rust treatment whilst im there and flick some black paint over the areas. :salute: