Sign in to follow this  
jamiehamy

VR6 Clutch MAster Cylinder...again

Hi all,

I've been through all previous threads, but not really getting anywhere.

I've been to VAG and they don't have them (as i thought), however they said they did (!) and ordered a Mk3 VR6 m/c.

Anyway, went to Euro and 3 m/c later and still not the right one.

They had an ATE one that looked right, however the fluid supply pipe was pointing forward, not directly up and, more crucially, it didn't have a threaded bolt on one of the mounting holes.

On mine, the left hand mounting hole shows the end of a bolt ( not the hex end) which indicates the hole is theaded, and the other side has a nut showing (looking from front of car).

I use the car everyday and can't afford to take her off the road to try investigate and/or attempt a new pedal box, so does anyone have any thoughts?

It's a August 93 model.

Thanks in advance.

when i converted my auto to manual, i used a 16V clutch master, which was slightly different to the VR one. The fluid feed pipe can be moved so just adapt your hose from the resevoir to fit. Also, perhaps you could create a stud for the m/c - just use a screw and then cut off the head. It does have the clevis connection on it for linking to the clutch pedal doesnt it? Post a few pics up.

I bought a VAG cylinder from TPS about 4 weeks ago so they should have them unless they've gone obsolete in that time.

Thanks fla.

The one that is almost right is this one, taken from Eurocarpart's website. (hope i'm not breaching copyright).

clutchmaster.png

I suppose i could bodge it on, but really reluctant to do so. I would need to try thread the hole on the left ( looking from front), then wind a stud in. Or simply use a normal nut and bolt and forego the threaded hole. Not really ideal, but might be forced to by the sounds of it.

How would i go about ordering from them? I'm not in the trade.

Also, still not sure they would have the right part, given recent issues :(

The ATE one from Euro looks good, but just can't fit it directly...i'm wondering if maybe the m/s has been replaced before, and that was the bodge.

Dave, did your fluid supply pipe point upwards or forwards? If upwards, can you supply me with your part number please?

Thanks all.

How would i go about ordering from them? I'm not in the trade.

Also, still not sure they would have the right part, given recent issues :(

The ATE one from Euro looks good, but just can't fit it directly...i'm wondering if maybe the m/s has been replaced before, and that was the bodge.

Dave, did your fluid supply pipe point upwards or forwards? If upwards, can you supply me with your part number please?

Thanks all.

The supply pipe points upwards - see photo. Part number is 358721388.

You don't need to be in the trade to buy from TPS.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks fla.

The one that is almost right is this one, taken from Eurocarpart's website. (hope i'm not breaching copyright).

clutchmaster.png

I suppose i could bodge it on, but really reluctant to do so. I would need to try thread the hole on the left ( looking from front), then wind a stud in. Or simply use a normal nut and bolt and forego the threaded hole. Not really ideal, but might be forced to by the sounds of it.

I've just fitted this one to my 16v' I had to use M6 bolts as the master had M6 holes instead of having M8 studs fitted into the master like the old one did.

As for the pipe I just re-routed it to suit.

Fitted the new master cylinder today, using M6 nuts and bolts.

Had one small glitch that i believe is now resolved. The clutch was fairly heavy which was puzzling. I released the master and slave nipples in case of excess pressure(?) but didn't fix. It now seems that the rubber gaitor for the pushrod was dry and catching on the rod itself. This made the pedal feel heavy. Bit of white grease on the pushrod sorted it.

Result - nice light but firm clutch and great engagement in all gears :)

Now just need to get the brakes firmer and she must literally drive as new ( bar the rattly interior). :) :)