Sign in to follow this  
fla

320i e46 and 525/530 e39 reviews?

I've been looking out for a 4 door car for a while, seen some Audis and some Beamers. Pretty nice, i do like them all and within my budget of around 5k theres a good choice. Just wanted some opinions on the 320i - seems nice a comfortable, with the sport body kit on it and Msport seats, not too fast but thats not what i want it for, more the comfort aspect. The e39 525 and 530 Msports are nice but do feel a little big tbh, and i do find the centre console looks a bit dated. Strangely the 3 series one doesnt seem too bad, even though its very similar. I like the e46 but the image and lack of rarity (to say the least!) are a big let down. All are 2003 onwards.

What are they like to live with, economy, parts etc? Any other suggestions? I've also seen a handlful of A4 and A6 S-lines. The ideal so far is the A6 2.7TDi, but its almost twice my budget :( A4s are good, but dont feel as refined as the beamers.

Any advice welcomed as i need to get one in the next 2 weeks or so.

ok i had an e46 330d tourer and it was ace apart from being to cramped for my liking its much smaller inside than an a4 i thought, apart from that it was a very nice car. currently got a 540i sport and i love it, but if i had econmy head on i would have bought a 530d and would have got it mapped, the 5 series (e39) is a much better car i would say than a e46 and if you go to any bmw garage ask them what they think of the e39, 99% of the time they will say its probably the best car bmw ever made.

ok, good feedback. I do like the e39s, the cabin is quite a nice place to be, especially if it doents have that crappy tv screen.

I find the e39 is definately one of the best cars i've driven and the m sport version still hold their value better than the SE versions.

The e46 is a little tight for space but thats my personal opinion.

For you budget you could pick up a relatively low mileage (>100k)530d 525d on the e39 facelift, there are many modified SE versions with the Sport Bumpers so only try to get a genuine M Sport.

The 525i sport auto (petrol) would do approx 80-100 miles on 20 litres not too sure about other models.

E39 530d is without doubt one ofthe best all rounders bmw have ever made,

My Father has a 2003 ie one of the last made 530 dse manual touring with all the kit fitted, he loves the thing, does between 40-44mpg average and that is alot of running around town etc.

He has though about replacing it but he would have to dip into his pocket tot he tune of about 10k to buy something newer and with the same spec, he's decidied to run it into the ground now...

And the TV set up is great, the updated version has a decent sat nav which can be updated, its got bluetooth etc too...

ok, good feedback. I do like the e39s, the cabin is quite a nice place to be, especially if it doents have that crappy tv screen.

like Tandino said the tv screen is not bad at all if you update the sat nav to the mk4 disc, it will not compete against a top spec tom tom but it will get you to the destination, you can also add a freeview box so you get loads of channels, if you get an i-pod kit pref the gateway system you can use the screen for viewing the i-pod functions, plus its a full screen on board computer so its not a bad thing to have i think.

530d is a good car just check to see if the swirl flaps have been replaced/removed if its a pre 1999 car.

karl

useful points. OK so the TV can be improved, thats a good suggestion, i didnt know the software could be updated. Might revisit the 530d again...

btw, how much do the 18" parallels cost with relatively good tyres? Just had a scan for some e39s and they've all got the wimpy 17s on them, which imo detracts considerably from the car.

I think hunt on ebay and ebay.de i've seen 18 parallels go for 400-1000 depends on what people think they are worth. IIRC they are come on 7 series sport models so there may be some breaking.

530d Sport is a very sought after car (especially black on black) it may take time to locate one, if its definately the model your after i'll keep an eye out for ones for sale as a friend works in BMW dealership.

the parallels go for around £400-£600 second hand, but apparently the replica's that are on e-bay are made by the same company that did the originals for BMW.

i will also keep my eye out for a black e39 sport, join this forum http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/ mate its very helpfull.

shame about the mileage, but it will keep on going way past 400k http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2073666.htm

shame about the gearbox fault as its the best colour and very cheap http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2011557.htm

this one just needs some parallel's and needs the wood throwing in the bin :pukeright: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1980160.htm

this one you want http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

i will keep looking

nice find Kad!

That red one does look nice, shame about the autobox, i thought all sport spec came with the silver trim not the wood.

nice find Kad!

That red one does look nice, shame about the autobox, i thought all sport spec came with the silver trim not the wood.

they also come with the wood and the dark ash, but i think i have found the perfect BMW for you Hasan http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=85&start=0 you will have to register to view the advert but it sounds perfect for you. black with black leather and parralel alloys

Thanks very much for that karl. Some really good finds there. Have literally just bought an A4 S-line (from GaVR6in), so the e39 may be on ice for a short while, hopefully not too long though...