Sign in to follow this  
Storm_VR6

What Car Dilemma!!!!

After 7 years of ownership, 60,000 miles, the most of which were full of smiles, me and my Corrado have parted. The end of an era. I hope the home my Storm has gone to gives her lots of tlc as the last year or so of neglect was just not fair on her so I had to let her go. I feel so devastated.

A wise man once said that the best way to get over true heartache is to introduce something new into your life but I keep asking myself, what on earth could possibly replace the heartfelt relationship between me and my Corrado and there is no obvious answer.

I have no doubt, one day I will own another Corrado but for now it’s time to say farewell and experience something new.....can anyone help? My budget for a second car isn't great but some help in making a decision would be good.

Option 1 - limit myself at £5K and buy something that won’t cause me any financial difficulty (in other words, be sensible)

Option 2 – up the limit to 10K and take on the burden of a loan (be me)

Any suggestions would be good apart from another Corrado as that would be like spitting on the bonnet of my own Storm.

E46 M3 - fantastic car and a great performer but the image is not for me.. I prefer the more understated Audi S4 but having driven both, the Audi fails to put you in touch with the road properly, whereas the M3 is far more exciting.. I would love to experience the RS4 but it's far too expensive at the mo.

Anymore suggestions ?

Went to the ring in a b5 rs4 last year the estate version

i can only describe the car as awesome 1 car to own before i die :)

Might help a bit if you tell us what boxes it needs to tick and what you want from it other than a special connection :)

As it's a second car, there are no major requirements. I guess reliability is most important. Have considered a few Alfa's, the GTV 3.0 V6 is a great car but I don't want to be on the back of an RAC truck every 100 miles.

db_Alfa_Romeo_GTV_3_0_V6_Cup_Loading1.jpg

I’m not overly keen on Japanese cars, admittedly they are very fast and lots of fun but there’s something about them I just don’t like. So no rice unless someone can convince me otherwise. .. I had access to a P1 for 2 weeks and wow, there is nothing I have ever driven that can out perform that car but I just can’t see myself owning one on a long term basis.

Absolutely adore those GTV 3.0 V6's as pictured... a Ferrari on a Corrado budget :)

I have the GTV pictured - its the limited run cup version - basically exactly the same as a standard V6 but with body kit and half leathers.......great weekend car and not astronomical to run. Despite similar figures it feels much faster than my C and gets probably more attention.

But to be honest the build quality is abismal, the corrado is much more solid inside.

EDIT : by the way if you do get a GTV make sure it is the CUP as well - the body kit makes the GTV so much more agressive looking - I didnt even consider a standard one.

whatever you do dont buy a 944 on a budget :( a host of horror stories will await if you do

the sills alone if rusty and in need of repair 700 per side :( triple layered metal

I don't think I'd go down the porsche route until I can afford a decent 911.. By 955 I'm guessing u mean 944.. Thanks for the advice. All suggestions/advice is appreciated.

Another vote for a GTV V6, i had a 2001 Lusso in Vela blue, most gorgeous looking thing with tan leather.

Had to sell it because missus was made redundant, disagree about the Cup though, big price hike for side skirts and different front wings and a few other bits, to me the Skirts spoil the lines and make them look too slab sided, they look aftermarket even though they are factory...

And reliablilty believe it or not on the 3 litre is very good, the engines are very strong, the 2 litre is pretty good bar the fact Alfa got the belt service schedule completely wrong to start with, dropped to 30,000 miles now whereas from memory it was 50k to start with, cue lots of belts breaking in the warranty period!!

Oh and if you decide to push the budget, E46 M3 will not be beaten for the price as a drivers car, you need to forget the image thing, your doing yourself out of one of the best pieces of Munich engineering, drive one is the only answer, if you can do that and still dismiss it then fair enough...

Tandino, thank you for your detailed response.. I adore the look of the Alfa, it's stunning.. I have driven the e46 M3 in coupe and cabrio form.. The coupe is a much better car to drive and I agree it's possibly the best overall package for my budget. It's just so common, for good reason I know.. I'd like to drive the Z3 M coupe ( bat mobile) less of them around but not sure if I can get one with my allowance.. A Z4 is also doable at 10k but never had a go in one..

Z3M is a great car but as you say good ones are creaping up in value, not as good a daily drive as the E46 but still a cracking car if you can get a good one.

Alfa 147 Gta is another 'heart' car and an alternative to the R32, they look stunning imho...

Thanks for your suggestions conked..and the not senible option would be ?

I think in the £10k price bracket I would be hard pressed not to buy a Mk5 GTI - such a rounded performance car, but if practicalty isn't a factor a nice TT or Z4 would be an option...

gtid.jpg

10322191.jpg

42118881.jpg

Quick list as I think of them ....

S2 Lotus Elise

Mk4 R32

Mk4 4-Motion and chuck on a turbo

Honda S2000

Evo 7 ... or go older and get a more classic shape like a nice VI Tommi Mak (basically a 6.5 as it sits between the 6 and 7)

Audi S3

Mazda RX8 (personally I would NEVER buy one but thought I would mention)

Focus RS

Nissan 350Z

Golf Mk1, Mk2 or Mk5 GTI

Mk1 Audi TT

Vauxhall VX220

Alfa Brera (ok you're scraping the barrel at £10k but it's possible)

Mazda RX8 (personally I would NEVER buy one but thought I would mention)

I find it really hard to recommend Japanese cars too - I know they are cracking motors, but something about them doesn't float my boat. Its probably the 2 Fast 2 Furious image in my head. For example, my mate had a S2000 and it was great (if a little too hairy at speed in the bends) but the cabin was absolutely shocking for the price - choclate box tray plastic everywhere, and the VTEC effect felt like extreme turbo lag.