Sign in to follow this  
Storm_VR6

What Car Dilemma!!!!

Yes but no...that interior is minging! Looks like an old people's home.

But those Lancia seats will be sooo comfy !

Option 2 : - Style and speed at a cost - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1696133.htm

Yes but no...that interior is minging! Looks like an old people's home.

How about 625bhp?

http://pistonheads.com/sales/1866772.htm

wow we are going from old peoples home to fisher price interior with that holden :D

well it is half rally spec anyway so you could rip out the rest of the interior and stick in a couple of buckets, cage, harnesses, fire sprinkler system :)

What were the Italians thinking when they made that interior ?? The Lancia is an awesome car but unlike the Corrado, it has a dated look about it. So does the Audi S2 IMO. If you've ever been lucky enough to drive a Lancia, wooohoooo the car makes you feel good, fast and feels as if it's on rails when cornering.

Evo - no way! Not denying the fact that it's a good car for street racing. ..but i'm not really a street racer! I think the Focus RS falls into this category, a little too aggressive for my liking. The Focus ST doesn't look as forward, even if it's in electric Orange.

Mk5 GTI does offer an excellent all round package, if it wasn't for the MK6 I'd of bought the MK5. The MK6 seems to be put together a lot better but I guess that's the same with a lot of newer model cars. However, my budget can't stretch to MK6 money or I'd of bought an RS4 lol

Practicality isn't really a major issue on a short term basis but I always buy my motors with a long term view..I would love the experience of owning a two seater but in the long-term I think I'd regret not having four seats. After some consideration I've taken a step forward in deciding that my new purchase will have four seats.

Quick list as I think of them ....

S2 Lotus Elise

Mk4 R32

Mk4 4-Motion and chuck on a turbo

Honda S2000

Evo 7 ... or go older and get a more classic shape like a nice VI Tommi Mak (basically a 6.5 as it sits between the 6 and 7)

Audi S3

Mazda RX8 (personally I would NEVER buy one but thought I would mention)

Focus RS

Nissan 350Z

Golf Mk1, Mk2 or Mk5 GTI

Mk1 Audi TT

Vauxhall VX220

Alfa Brera (ok you're scraping the barrel at £10k but it's possible)

hey! you left out the Mk3 & Mk4......oh, I see :lol:

Oh and if you decide to push the budget, E46 M3 will not be beaten for the price as a drivers car, you need to forget the image thing, your doing yourself out of one of the best pieces of Munich engineering, drive one is the only answer, if you can do that and still dismiss it then fair enough...

Have to agree with that.....

....because nearly all 'top of the range' cars of each marque have 'image problems'. Mitsi' Evos, Imprezas, Golf GTIs and R32s, Focus STs, Porsche Boxster, et al. All perceived by the public as having an image problem, ignore them. It's always the people who can't afford to own or run these cars that seem to be the most vocal with their opinions.

Personally, I've never thought an E46 M3 was chavvy or had an image problem. They sound like a bucket of bolts at low rev cruising and not as 'cool' as an E39 M5 imo, but aside from that it's an immense machine, especially in run-out CSL flavour... but that's way off budget.

Do they use solid lifters or something?

Oh and if you decide to push the budget, E46 M3 will not be beaten for the price as a drivers car, you need to forget the image thing, your doing yourself out of one of the best pieces of Munich engineering, drive one is the only answer, if you can do that and still dismiss it then fair enough...

....because nearly all 'top of the range' cars of each marque have 'image problems'. Mitsi' Evos, Imprezas, Golf GTIs and R32s, Focus STs, Porsche Boxster, et al. All perceived by the public as having an image problem, ignore them. It's always the people who can't afford to own or run these cars that seem to be the most vocal with their opinions.

Personally, I've never thought an E46 M3 was chavvy or had an image problem. They sound like a bucket of bolts at low rev cruising and not as 'cool' as an E39 M5 imo, but aside from that it's an immense machine, especially in run-out CSL flavour... but that's way off budget.

I may be completely wrong, but I read that first post as being on about the E36 M3, not the E46 :shrug: Surely theres not that much image problem with the E46??!? Plus I would have thought you would struggle to get one in budget thats not on astro-miles?

The E36 M3 is an immense machine - around 100bhp more than our C's but with more or less the same displacement - but it now has a HUGE image problem (a bit council estate). Shame.

Christ Kev, are you feeling ok?? :lol: :lol:

And yes solid lifters.

I totally agree, the E36 is a great car. I actually preferred the raw feel of the E36 3.0 M3 than the more refined 3.2 evo. Anything that wears the "M" badge must be given serious consideration.

I ran a few insurance quotes for an E46 M3 and found that it cost almost twice as much to insure than an Audi RS4..even if I wanted to get an E46, insurance is way too much.

Christ Kev, are you feeling ok?? :lol: :lol:

And yes solid lifters.

Lol, we can't disagree on everything! :D

Just a quick update, I'm edging towards buying myself a MK4 R32 as they seem to have come down in price quite a bit... the car seems a good overall package and i think, if i'm lucky could get a decent one for 7.5K.. anything in particular I should look for ? any optional extras I should be aware of?

I love the Mk4 R32 - one of VW's best looking cars in my opinion, but having said that I wouldn't get one unless you live in quite a nice area and can park it safely at work, as having known a few owners they are trouble magnets in every sense - boy racers, theft, scratched (out of jealousy), the parts alone are worth a fortune (bumpers, seats, wheels etc.) etc.

I hate to say it, but if it was my money, and I could get my head to rule my heart, I would be buying a Mk5 GTI instead. Faster (except for in the wet maybe!), better chassis, much better rear leg room, safer, cheaper to service, better on fuel, similar money to buy... Although it wouldn't sound as pant wettingly good :grin:

I love the Mk4 R32 - one of VW's best looking cars in my opinion, but having said that I wouldn't get one unless you live in quite a nice area and can park it safely at work, as having known a few owners they are trouble magnets in every sense - boy racers, theft, scratched (out of jealousy), the parts alone are worth a fortune (bumpers, seats, wheels etc.) etc.

I hate to say it, but if it was my money, and I could get my head to rule my heart, I would be buying a Mk5 GTI instead. Faster (except for in the wet maybe!), better chassis, much better rear leg room, safer, cheaper to service, better on fuel, similar money to buy... Although it wouldn't sound as pant wettingly good :grin:

If your staying VW then I would agree with this. Im back looking at them again for a daily. The Mk5 is such and improvement over the Mk4 IMO. What about a Leon Cupra, they have the ED30 engine in them? Simple remap and near on 300bhp.

A MK5 is an excellent overall package, especially with the DSG box..this one recently sold for £10K or less..

mk5.jpg

The R32 I was considering is no longer available so still without a car at the mo . I've been told that the fuel consumption on an R32 is ridiculous, which has put me off a little but how much worse can it be than the Corrado ??? I suppose powering all four wheels may make it less fuel efficient.

Seat Leon with 300 BHP..Interesting power hike but firstly I already have a Seat and secondly, howmuch of that power is actually useable on the road??

E39 M5.. I like my smaller cars, way too big and when things do go wrong, which they do, fixes are expensive and M5 specific parts are hard to find on the second hand market...Kevhaywires (I recall the name being Cheesewire ?? ) E46 suggestion is better suited to me...