Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

Brake upgrade

Does anyone know what I need to upgrade from 256mm discs (16V) to 280mm discs (G60)? Do I need G60 hubs and calipers or do I only need one item to upgrade i.e. 16V calipers on G60 hubs.

Been looking through TSR catalogue and they offer adaptor plate kits for about £400 incl. discs and pads - too costly and would much rather have proper veedub parts particularly on my brakes.

Im pretty sure all you need are the calipers, carriers, disks and pads so its fairly easy upgrade. The vr6 uses 280mm brakes as well but I dont know if the calipers and carriers are the same as g60 ones, anyone else know. :?

I have upgraded them now.

I used calipers and carriers from a MK3 Golf 16v in a breakers yard (£90) with Zimmerman drilled G60 discs and Pagid fast road pads for a G60.

Also blead the system through and replaced the fluid - it was quite a dirty colour when I first started.

I converted it on Wednesday, so not really tried the brakes hard yet as they are still bedding in, but reduced the pedal travel considerably.