daves16v

Central locking not working - CHECK YOUR WIRING

In an attempt to tidy up some wiring whilst I did a dash swap, I removed my alarm to fit it in a better location.

Now that the alarm is out the central locking has stopped working on both handles. All I did was to remove the wiring to the C/L circuit and insulate.

I've done alot of searching and have checked a few things using Yandards C/L fault finding sheet (thanks for that). I got to the part for checking the handle microswitch and this failed so I double checked the switch with a multimeter and found it to be working. Next I disconnected the handle plug from the loom and bridged the connections on the loom side, I half expected the pump to fire up but I got nothing. Then I checked that there was 12v to the handle which there was so now I'm stumped. I've only checked the driver side handle but it should still work if the pass handle is shot?

Is there something that has been disconnected or disabled to allow the alarm to control the C/L? The 20amp fuse is ok otherwise the early tests in the fault finding sheet would have failed.

Everything was working as it should have when the alarm was connected, even the total closure was working.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Had another go today this time I tried another control/pump module kindly lent by Purpletom - thanks Tom. This didn't fix the problem so the only thing left to check was wiring.

To cut a long story short I traced the fault down to a broken wire in the door. Infact there were 3 wires connected together - from the main loom to the door handle loom and the lock actuator - see photo. It's just a case of a corroded joint as it was completely disconnected.

It was quite a long winded pain in the ass trying to diagnose the fault so hopefully this thread will help others. It initially pointed to a broken door handle loom but this was all good.

That's the passenger side working ok now, the driver side doesn't work so I'm banking on that having the same problem, I'll strip it down tomorrow.

Stripped the driver side door tonight and found exactly the same problem so if anyone has central locking that isn't working off the key then this could be your problem. DON'T go buying another door handle, check the wiring first.

Yeah that's not uncommon Dave, I had the same issue - that's the only wiring join in the door, well worth re-wrapping it all too while you are there!

I didn't know there was a join like that in the door loom, I've not come across it while doing searches. Yeah I've wrapped the pass door already, will be doing the driver tomorrow.

my central locking is very slow, like the door pin pops up stupidly slow,the other week it failed to pop up so i couldnt get in, came back n tryed again n it opened, is there anything i can lubricate to speed it up?

Good spot. I'll be replacing my driver's side window mechanism soon so will check the wire joint. Cheers for the tip.