Sign in to follow this  
big ben

how to change gearbox oil

ok, i have done an advanced search and all i can find is a guide (wiki?) link that doesnt work anymore...

need to top up or change the oil in the VR gearbox, topping it up is all it needs though. Anyone got the link or could someone explain how to do it to a complete idiot? :D

cheers

Ben

It shouldn't need topping up really as it doesn't go anywhere :scratch: so either it's been changed before and not enough was put in or you've got a leaking gearbox! :eek:

Either way it's easy to do really, you just need a very large allen head socket set (can't remember the size, think it's 20 something so it's big!), undo the top one first so you don't drain the oil to find you can't fill it back up! Then undo the bottom one and drain the oil (smells like peanuts!). Then just fill it up, although it's not easy to get to so I always use a funnel and a small length of hose to fill it up. Think it takes about 1.7 litres, but basically just fill until it starts to come out the fill hole.

Simple!

cheers bud...

i have a list of things up with my car and gearbox oil low is one of them :shrug: so either way im going to put some more redline in there to start with, and then keep an eye on it suppose.

Your best bet is to buy a proper gearbox drain plug socket. Think it's either 17mm or 19mm. Make sure the filler plug can be removed before dropping the drain plug out. Your gearbox has MT90 in it already.

Its a 17mm hex socket.

drain is easy to spot just in front of the diff housing.

Fill is on the front face of the gearbox, look down to the left of the battery when standing from above, you will see it,

Easiest way to fill is with a length of hose attached to a narrow squeezy neck 1litre gearbox oil bottle.

I saw in a mag recently a guy used a wheel bolt to undo the drain plug. The hex head is 17mm so thats correct and with some flats filed on the thread to allow you to turn it! No need to buy a 17mm allen key! Thats if you have a spare wheel bolt that is!!