Sign in to follow this  
Philcorn

VR6 Strange behaviour

Hi,

The car cold starts and runs fine. But when the ignition is switched on the lights come on dimley even though the switch is off. The lights do work when switched on. Normal and high beem.

After about 5 mins the cars power drops and runs lumpey, it seems to struggle to keep running but does. I also noticed that the fuel gauge drops slightly when the problem occurs.

The leads, plugs and coilpack are fairly new, maybe 6 months old. Not sure how old the battery is. Im thinking that something is shorting out but not sure what it could be.

Had a bit of a brake problem recently which took the garage a while to sort so just thought i would ask for help first before i go back to the garage.

Thank you.

Phil

I'd say the lumpy running after 5 minutes or so could be the lambda probe. Fairly classic symptom as the car runs on pre-programmed values for the first 5 minutes or so whilst it warms up, then switches to using values from sensors.. if the lambda is duff, then you can get lumpy running (as well as a host of other entertaining symptoms).

Might be worth removing the lights switch and see how it goes.

There's a strange link that mean if you have keys out, but switch dipped on, pull and hold main beam, then the indicators, heater and radio will all work.

Maybe something is shorting in that switch. If is makes no difference, then possible you can eliminate the switch?

Don't know if that will help.

Hey,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Turns out the coilpack is a duff, lasted 10 months from GSF. Getting a new one from euro a decent make. Headlights seemed to of been a coincidence. Theres a fuse in the left wing thats now been diconected and now the headlights work fine. Puzzled the AA man for a while. Who also broke my ignition leads so a claim is going in to them tomorrow.

I Took it down to my local garage he sorted things out in no time.

Thanks

Phil

Coilpacks from VW are not much more than GSF / Euro and you get a 2 year warranty. Same goes for leads - You really can't beat genuine ignition parts, last years!

Hopefully i wont have to pay for new leads as the AA broke mine. We shall see what happens.

I will call vw and see how much a coil is. But i think the one euro has is a Beru one.

Phil

357998031 - £75 + vat

That from the dealers sheesh, where the hell did they get the price from when i checked :lol:

I think the price you got was right but they priced them up individually, the price above is for a set.

Hey,

I called my local VW dealer and got some prices for the coilpack and leads. £205 for the coilpack and £113.51 for the leads. Plenty in stock.

The OE coilpack from euro is £93.50. A bit of a difference there for the same one as VW. The leads i have gone for are the better ones from euro, around £60. I believe the pack and leads to be Beru.

Thanks

Phil

I've had Beru leads from GSF for the past 4 or 5 years, no problems. They don't feel/look as nice as some but work fine. Think they were £55 then.

I'd say the lumpy running after 5 minutes or so could be the lambda probe. Fairly classic symptom as the car runs on pre-programmed values for the first 5 minutes or so whilst it warms up, then switches to using values from sensors.. if the lambda is duff, then you can get lumpy running (as well as a host of other entertaining symptoms).

The VR6 runs open loop (no lambda control) from cold until 70 deg water temperature and at full throttle, at all temperatures. Only the MAF is used at wide open throttle.

This is why the blue temp sender and MAF are so critical on the VR6 :wink: