Sign in to follow this  
hombre_paulo

Back-End

On my way home from work the back end of my c decided it wanted to a different way to where i had it pointed, whilst going round a roundabout.

Bit of oppo and dab of the accelerator saw me straighten up nicely, but i was quite sideways at one point.

The strange thing is though i wasnt going at all fast enough to provoke it (although it was wet) and the slide was very much in slo-mo and easy to control. It's the same roundabout I go round everyday and have gone round much quicker in similar conditions, so i`m a little baffled as to what caused it.

Since getting home (very slowly) I have checked the tyres on the rear and they both have sufficient tread left on them before the wear indicator. I`m thinking that something slippery was on the roundabout and its nothing to do with me or the c. Just looking for some reassurance really.

And some tales of your similar instances.

never happened to me but my friend has had that twice same situation roundabout , wet ect...

I said the same prob diesel or drain cover cover

Had this issue recently as well, it's like the front end pitched in randomly...

Normally round a corner that I can drive pretty hard and it left me doing about 10 - 15 mph through it!

I'm hoping it was just a greasy road! can't afford for it not to be!

Getting the bushes checked whilst it's in at the garage today just in case!

I thought diesel aswell as it didnt let go as i turned in, it went half way through the turn without any change to the steering input.

I`ve been trying to provoke it since and getting now joy.

Not the scariest one I`ve had, that was on a country lane in a mk2 polo breadvan. Had to swerve into a massive mud puddle to avoid a landrover coming the other way only to end up sliding sideways through the mud. Somehow managed to get the car back on to some tarmac only for the opposite lock i had on bite hard on the tarmac and fling the back end the other way. More opposite lock the other way and lots of throttle saw me straighten up nicely.

Still no idea to this day how i managed it, must be instinct :shrug:

I've had the same thing happen with the rear bushes.

Very scary moment whilst ona long motorway off ramp, a seam in the raod threw the car.

New interior now required....

As said before - could be diesel.

Also oil, or perhaps too much throttle while still turning and slight damp surface - will certainly cause the back end to go.

Been there - done it !!! :lol: :lol:

What tyres have you got on? Plenty of tread means jack sh*t if they're sh*t tyres to begin with :lol: I've had similar issued before when on budget tyres. Never had the back end come out once since using half decent tyres, even with very worn rear bushes!

same - wasn't sure what was happening. remember just slowly sliding across over to the side barriers :pale: and then finally got some traction and drove on. parked up - tyre check - nothing out've ordinary :shrug:

that said - I tend to go into granny mode when it's wet.

Can't understand lads flying around the place in the wet :cuckoo:

I had a similar thing happen to me on a roundabout some time ago; i've been trying to get the car to do it again on the same roundabout ever since :norty:

Seriously though, this one has a dip at the point i started sliding, it was a little damp and i'd just got the car back from having new suspension so I was getting a little over excited...

I don't know if road surfaces have different names etc but there's one type that just turns into an ice rink when it's wet and greasy. It's usually on roundabouts.

You can often spot a section of road that's renowned for grip problems because the Council stick shell grip down, so I always tread with caution when I see it.

I don't know if road surfaces have different names etc but there's one type that just turns into an ice rink when it's wet and greasy. It's usually on roundabouts.

You can often spot a section of road that's renowned for grip problems because the Council stick shell grip down, so I always tread with caution when I see it.

Yeah there are some tarmac surfaces which you just need to look at to think "I aint getting grip on that for sh*t!" :lol: it looks shiny compared to grippy tarmac. Seems to be on roundabouts a lot round my way too, mainly large roundabouts off of dual carriageways etc, no grip at all.

I`m gonna have a good look at the tarmac on my way home tonight. Still sure i`ve gone round it quicker in the wet and not gone sideways, so I`m sticking with diesel.

I used to get this all the time in the wet on many roundabouts; to the point that it became habbit to drive sideways at every oportunity as I was expecting it to happen - it was like my Corrado had been converted to rear wheel drive as soon as the rain came down. Mine is lowered quite a bit and the stiff ride combined with rear tyres that were of a hard compound seemed to be the culprit- when I replaced the tyres to softer compound the rear wheel drivness went away. Although it will still perform a very tidy lift off understeer.

Around my way, it's always on intersection roundabouts. Lots of commercial vehicle traffic, more chance of diesel spillages. I've had a "diesel off" myself :D

Go on any motorcycle forum and I'm sure you'll find threads about diesel spills, man hole covers, pot holes etc etc. They have to be more vigilant with that kind of thing.

If the car was driving normally prior to the spin and the steering didn't go light entering the roundabout (indicating a reduction in grip), snap oversteer can therefore only be diesel imo!