Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Supplier for Ignition Leads for 2.0 16v

As many 2.0 16v owners know, getting a set of ignition leads which are correct for the car is a bit of a pain because of this special knock sensor which sits on lead number 4.

GSF, etc don't seem to sell a suitable set of leads. Dubpower leads are a bargain but again no good for 2.0's.. so I'd previously bought these:

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=675

They're Beru and work out about £55 posted. The plug on lead #4 unscrews allowing you to slip the sensor on. However I was disappointed after 3 years and no more than 15-20,000 miles for one of the leads basically fall apart. Didn't want to buy from them again!

Looked into alternatives and found AJ Components on eBay. They sell two sets which are apparently compatible.. the first set is about £36 posted:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORRADO-PASSAT-1- ... 4aa5219ce0

Very disappointed when they arrived. The deeper plastic sections which go into the engine end are very soft and flimsy (not like OE at all), the caps which connect to the distributor just looked wrong.. and surprise surprise no way of taking apart lead #4 to fit the sensor. They did fit though and the car did run.. but complained anyway because of the sensor issue.

Following some (admittedly very helpful emails from them) I ended up with their higher quality set:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORRADO-GOLF-PASS ... 4aa521b971

These work out to be £62 posted. Not got them on the car yet but these seem to be significantly better quality and yes, lead #4 does unscrew at the dizzy end so you can put the sensor on. Hooray.

Thought I'd post up my findings to stop people wasting money on trying to find a suitable lead set. Will update this once they're fitted (this evening hopefully).

I use the dubpower ones on mine and have never had an issue with the knock sensor being simply zip tied to lead.... in fact i even didn't have it anywhere near it to start with and didn't experience any problems.

If your local TPS will let you buy from them, or you just blag a trade account you can get a set of genuine ones for £53.63 including VAT

Will be £71.50 if you go straight through VW

I recently got some TDC leads from eurocarparts that they sourced for me. Didn't come with the knock sensor but you can remove the plug to slide it on. They seem good enough quality. The long plastic part that goes into the head seems sturdy and i don't think they were too expensive either. Cant remember the price, will find out but might not be good to many of you anyway as we get a hefty discount from them. Will keep you updated if anything goes wrong with them.

TPS are off the menu (have tried and repeatedly failed to get an account with them) and genuine VAG leads have apparently gone significantly down in quality - I was advised to avoid them by some knowledgeable chaps after they had to send back a 10 month old set which had fallen apart.

I recently got some TDC leads from eurocarparts that they sourced for me. Didn't come with the knock sensor but you can remove the plug to slide it on. They seem good enough quality. The long plastic part that goes into the head seems sturdy and i don't think they were too expensive either. Cant remember the price, will find out but might not be good to many of you anyway as we get a hefty discount from them. Will keep you updated if anything goes wrong with them.

Why don't ECP put this information on their freaking website :( I looked at ECP, they didn't list any compatible leads, so I moved on.. :|

Yeah it's very annoying! We spend a fortune with them so they are willing to look for stuff and get back to us. I was after some magnecor / 8mm ones but they couldn't source any under £1000000. I'm sure if you ring and ask nicely they could source you some.

Alternatively if you're getting seriously desperate (and im not offering a service here!!) i could get some ordered and sent to you.

I've already bought the ones from the supplier in the top post, but do appreciate the offer :)

TPS are off the menu (have tried and repeatedly failed to get an account with them) and genuine VAG leads have apparently gone significantly down in quality - I was advised to avoid them by some knowledgeable chaps after they had to send back a 10 month old set which had fallen apart.

Jim, I could have got you a set and posted them, tbh I wouldn't use anything else but VAG now - the quality is superb so not sure about the above comment or where it came from?

I actually bought some ABF leads a few months back for a mate and they we're really well made and exactly the right lengths etc - less than £50 too!

Has similar issue last week. :(

Ordered a set from TMS, and a rotar arm, and dizzy. Rotor arm looked too small, and short - like it wasn't going to make contact. The leads had straight ends, and no sealing plug for the DOHC, and no option to fit the sensor.

They rechecked the catalogue, and according to them, it is the right part number/description for both bits :confused4:

I took them back and used the money to pay for a clutch master cyclinder replacement instead. More pressing!

However I want to do the leads soon, so please let us know how you get on.

Or if anybody can do better...

Jim, I could have got you a set and posted them, tbh I wouldn't use anything else but VAG now - the quality is superb so not sure about the above comment or where it came from?

I actually bought some ABF leads a few months back for a mate and they we're really well made and exactly the right lengths etc - less than £50 too!

Steve, have seen the leads in question and they were absolutely shocking! :shock: Maybe it was just a bad batch, but you'd expect VW stuff to be of a consistant standard.