Sign in to follow this  
Powells

Wont turn over just clicking. Does this fusebox need earthin

image.jpg

I've been sorting the mess of wiring underneath my

engine bay, its a 20v conversion that i bought in need of work.

I wondered if this box is earthed out via the screws that attach it to the mounting bracket? This is the only reason i can think as to why its not turning over now

Dan

is it just clicking when you try to start and not spinning?

Try giving the key a wiggle when you turn it, might be a dodgy ignition switch.

is it the starter motor that is clicking or a relay....and is it one click or a series of fast clicks? try turning the ignition to position no1 and find the live in to the starter motor and earth it to the solenoid connection,it should turn and start....if it does,you may have an earth problem or as on previous post,an ignition switch problem....

Thanks for the replies, its making one click. The batterys good so it makes me think its an earth problem. I tried relocating this fuse box in the pic so now its not screwed to the mounting bracket..didn't know if this was how it earthed itself? Also do i need to attach the earth straps from the starter to the battery or can i attach them somewhere else in the bay?

sounds like the starter motor is jammed, get some one to turn the key and hold it turned and then hit the starter with something, like a pole or something. This may just shock it and release it. Happened to me thats how i know.

I'll have a play with the starter motor but it ran fine until i startwd

disconnecting the earths and live feeds from the battery and removed the bracket that holds that small fuse box to the bay. The starter earth strap doesnt look to clever either.

Wish id left it alone now!

I went out to find ours won't start this morning. I've not touched any wires, just changed all 4 injectors. It started fine after I'd finished and run it up to temp but came out this morning to just a *click*

have you checked that you are getting 12v to the starter motor trigger wire from the fuse box with the original ignition switch an new one?

As it is a 20vt conversion, what ECU set up are you using, could it be the factory immobaliser playing up?

dave