Sign in to follow this  
Supercharged

[Ford] Mondeo Oil Filter Missing!

Any Ford people / mechanics on here??

My mums partners' 55 plate Mondeo broke down yesterday when the oil filter seemingly fell off or exploded...

The oil had been changed earlier that day (not by me!) and he's sure the filter was tight etc and also primed, it was a genuine Ford filter but had a different part number to the old one, he checked with Ford and it's a superceded part, I have also checked this and the info seems to be correct - 2.0 Duratec engine but he said it was also slightly different in size / shape... does anyone have info on this as I didn't see the old or new one and seems a bit odd?

Basically the car lost the whole sump in seconds at 70mph, oil light came on and engine was stopped as soon as possible - does anyone know the rough cost of a new engine from Ford or any other good suppliers?

Second hand really isn't an option as it's a 30k mile car :gag:

That sort of thing happens (assuming not a defective filter) when the oil pump relief valve gets stuck closed sending the oil pressure up by a fair few notches. More common with 75k mile plus on th eclock, but.... well it is a Ford and they don't last much past......

Hi Steve

Who did the work was it a garage or done by an individual?

I would have thought that year mondeo would have had the cartridge type filter but it could be the metal type, it sounds like it wasn't tightened properly or seal wasnt put on and worked itself loose as excess pressure would have been evident in other gaskets and weak points in the engine.

Did the oil pressure light come on?

The next thing to do is put oil in the car and a new filter and see the state of play if its knocking then it definately needs to be repaired/replaced.

The most economical thing would be to strip the bottom end and see whether you can replace parts like oil bearing and shells other wise it may well need a new engine i would guess they would come in at about 1500 upwards.

AA do a parts and labour warranty with their breakdown cover where you can claim up to £500 towards repairs, it may be worth asking him if he has that cover.

Hope this helps

Thanks mate - yeah he did it himeslf (as he has countless numbers of times on various cars) and yes it was the metal type...

I reckon it just wasn't done up but the threaded bush was still there so must have undid itself and fallen off - just strange that Ford seem to have changed the part for some reason.

No warranty etc so just called Ford - £3,300 for a new engine but they do have stock in the UK, will be more like £3,500 with Gaskets / Bolts / Fluids etc :(

I hope he went back and sanded the oil spill? :lol:

Sounds like YOU bungled it Steve and using your Mum's bloke as a scapegoat :lol:

Anyway, in all seriousness, brand new Mondeo crate engine from £1200 - £1650 - http://www.raceco.com/dura.html

Plenty of Duratecs out there. Google is your friend