James.

The Official Corrado Campaign thread (where are they now)

Last edited July 2023

Do you drive one ? Do you know where one is ?? Do you know where they all are ???

Seeing as there's hardly enough to start a "Campaign register", if you have any info on any of the six Campaigns then please post it in here.

I've contacted VW regarding the Corrado Campaign and the only information passed my way was details of my service history. The marketing department drew a blank as well. I therefore have nothing regarding internal press info/pictures. So it looks like it's down to us enthusiasts to unearth all the info on this limited creation.

As with most of the information I have received, none of it has been officially confirmed. So if you can confirm any info that I am posting, then please post it up. I'll update this thread as and when new information comes my way.

These cars have become a bit of an urban myth. I hope by creating this thread, we can all learn about one of Volksagens rarest production cars.

As some/all/none of you may know, VW created six VW Corrado Campaigns. They then held a competition for all the official dealer network of who could sell the most Karmann cars (Golf cabrio, Scirrocco, Corrado) between January 1992 and August the 1st 1992.

The six winning dealers were:

Scotts of Sloane square (London)

Dovercourt, St Johns Wood (London)

Dovercourt, Battersea (London)

Listers of Coventry

Karmann of Barnet (London)

Gilders of Sheffield

Here's an article which highlighted the model back in 1999:

IMG_6321.jpg

The specification :

1992 VR6 ABV 2.9L engine.

BBS "Monte Carlo" wheels (15").

Early interior controls (heaters, switches, stalks)

Pioneer front and rear speakers.

Recaro heated and electric adjustable seats with "Corrado" embossed headrests (athletes running logo).

Full leather interior (not just the faces, but side, rear and all other faces) in "Brick red / Red tan" with Mauve inserts consisting of: Front and rear (humped) seats with mauve stripes, Door cards (mauve part stitching), trim tunnel, Handbrake handle, gear knob, steering wheel, dashboard.

Brick red carpeting with the same colour (front only) overmats.

Black headlining, trim, sunroof switch and hand stitched black sun visors.

Dusty Mauve (LC5P) paint. Seen mostly on the Golf MK3. Listed on the boot sticker and in the owners handbook as paintcode "SK99" (special order colour).

K95 EUC  (Scotts of Sloane square London car) also has the following, which when purchased appear to be original:

Black door pin strikers

Black front door strut caps

Black boot and bonnet and door latches

From what I've read so far, mine was the only Campaign to come with Air con. It's a Diavia retro fit system that I beleive Scotts of Sloane square used to spec a lot of their cars with (Air con was not available as standard on UK cars at this point).

Below is an article from Volkswagen Audi Car regarding the Campaign and how it came about (NB - The registration in this photo was not used on any of the Campaigns as it is a J plate).

IMG_6322.jpg

It's known that one was written off early in its life, with a second also mooted to have followed the same fate in later years. Which one is which has yet to be confirmed, but an interior does exist in another forum members car.

I emailed VW UK, VW Germany and Karmann to establish if they have any info on these vehicles. All came back with nothing being kept in their records/archive/history files.

Trying to keep abreast of locations and if they are still on the road can be difficult. But I can start the ball rolling with mine:

The Scotts of Sloane Square car (James' Sloane ranger):

Ownership timeline (approx):

28/08/92 to 11/12/92 = Scotts of Fulham demonstrator

11/12/92 to 01/07/95 = 1st owner (Newark, Nottingham)

01/07/95 to 01/05/00 = 2nd owner (Copthorne, West Sussex)

01/05/00 to 19/02/09 = 3rd owner (Wellington, Somerset)

19/02/09 to 11/08/09 = 4th owner (Maidenhead, Berkshire)

11/08/09 to Present = Me - 5th owner (West Lancashire)

Scotts of Sloane square (London) - Currently known and in Lancashire - K95 EUC

Dovercourt, St Johns Wood (London) - Sold 2020 (Ex Jimbo off this forum). Current whereabouts unknown. Off the road since 2020 - C4MVR (Original reg unknown)

Dovercourt, Battersea (London)

Listers of Coventry - Last heard of being in the Ipswich area. Off the road since 1998.

Karmann of Barnet (London)

Gilders of Sheffield - Registered Cat C in the late 90's. Last sold in the UK circa 2007. Repaired and last heard of being in Ireland - K918 EHE

To offer context as to how rare these cars are, here's (from what I could find on the internet) are the next five Volkswagens in terms of production (Quantity produced in bold):

Phaeton W12 LWB - 12

MK2 Golf G60 Limited - 71

Beetle RSI - 250

XL1 Hybrid - 250

Touareg W12 Sport - 500

Edited by James.

The interior was in Majiks car although i dont know if he sold it, im fairly sure it didnt include a dash..

Ive seen the one owned by a lday who lives near Ipswich but that was in 07, it was wearing a private reg.

Did your car belong to Campaign off here? If not i think that was the one that went to Ireland..

Did your car belong to Campaign off here? If not i think that was the one that went to Ireland..

Campaigns was the Gilders of Sheffield car. I'm lead to beleive that TCS bought it. Put their mark up on it and then it went to Ireland.

Yes one of them is here in Ireland. I lad living in Portloaise has it.

This would tie in nicely with the above. Does anyone know if he's on here ?

one has been written off, I believe, so that make 5 max.

Anyone know for sure which one ? Reg number ??

One was in Ipswich with a lady owner from new but not seen it for a while

I've heard this mentioned before. Again, anybody know if she's on here. Which car and/or what the reg is ?

Looking through Google earlier and one was sold to tcs on 10 sept 2007.

Is this the one you think went to Ireland?

Owner was on the retro car club with user name of sciroccorrado, located in leicestershire

He listed it as being written off in 1999 but having been rebuilt with full AA report.

http://www.retrocarclub.co.uk/forums/to ... paign-vr6/

Paul

One here!

Nice one Jimbo. Post a picture when you get a second or two. Which dealers car do you have ?

Looking through Google earlier and one was sold to tcs on 10 sept 2007.

Is this the one you think went to Ireland?

Owner was on the retro car club with user name of sciroccorrado, located in leicestershire

He listed it as being written off in 1999 but having been rebuilt with full AA report.

http://www.retrocarclub.co.uk/forums/to ... paign-vr6/

Paul

Nice one Paul. This will be ex "Campaigns" (Jeremys) Campaign as I've seen that thread myself. Its the Gilders of Sheffield car.

Which was the one Ugly Bloke owned...?

(edit) He owned Jeremy's old one too...

I'll throw my oar in here with a comprehensive list later when I get home ...

I have details on 5 of the six, but alas one seems destined to be lost forever (I also believe this is the one that Majik had the SEATS from, he was lacking the dashboard and steering wheel.

Who's Ugly Bloke? Is that Tim? I was the 3rd owner of mine.

Which was the one Ugly Bloke owned...?

He owned mine for just short of six months (fourth owner).

Great thread never even knew about the campaign hope they all get found the ones that are left anyway, pictures would be good .

That must be Tim then, as he owned at least two at some point...

The last owner wasn't a Tim. Do you have a surname, as I've got all the surnames of the past owners ? The third owner was a lady but the first two were blokes.

Thanks for the pictures Jeremy. What was the original registration number on yours ???

Did some call me :D

I was indeed lucky enough to have sourced an interior for one and (recently) it almost got sold and shipped to the USA, I will be selling the interior off at some point as i will be converting my G60 to standard and selling it on.

I have all the bits except Dash and Carpet.

If anyone wants a spare campaign interior just incase......let me know!

Apart from the 16vG60 in the basement of the Karmann museum, this really is the ultimate Corrado for me. I've always loved that interior!

Apart from the 16vG60 in the basement of the Karmann museum, this really is the ultimate Corrado for me. I've always loved that interior!

Not too sure about it tbh. I love the colour and contrast of the black, but can't help but want more of the black...on the seats for instance

Only ever seen one and it was a right dogs dinner of a car, every panel had been painted, badly.

You may have seen mine before I took control. The car had been painted in the past. But the wrong colour !

Whoever had painted it, decided not to bother with the sunroof panel though :roll:

But in the grand scheme of things, the paint was the least of her issues