Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

noisey tapets / loss of power... solution!?

Dont know if this is the right place for it but im sure the mods will move if not.

I was experiencing a noisey engine... dont know if it was tapets or chain noise but on idle the noise wasnt to bad.... pushing the car pash 2000 rmp and it got a bit noisey... so i tried Wynns hydrolic lifter / tapet solution... meant to quieten engines down.... it has worked a little (not as much as i had hoped) but the car feels loads better to drive now.. much more responsive.... could i have cleaned something to the extent of freeing the engine up???

Could your oil be too thin? These additives rarely do much other than to thicken the oil up a bit to stop it burning or draining away.

It may be worth doing an oil change and putting proper vw oil in if you havent already done so

Jim

the oil change was done 1 month ago and i used the proper quantum stuff.

the wynns stuff was a cleaner fluid... i guess its cleaned the tappets up like it says on the tin, free'd the engine up and thus given more umph and better mpg??

guess work though

thought i'd update this quickly....

the car is running LOADS better now, seems alot quieter and is performing well in both the power and MPG dept.

big thumbs up for the stuff i used

WYNNS HYDROLIC LIFTER CLEANING SOLUTION about £4 a tin.

chap,

where did you pluck this wonder solution? might tide me over till i find somewhere that'll do my tappets/guides...

ta

randal

tried some of this bad boy stuff, noticed a difference just about straight away. Oil seems to have got rather dirty/black, which must be sort of a good sign. Cleaned up something :D , but mucked up my oil :( . Still very happy with it.

Hope it does thinken up the oil a bit, cos it uses quite a bit ( using mobil 1 :lol: ).

ta

timo

the tapet cleaner stuff wont thicken the oil, just clean all the components. probably woeth running it for another week and then doing an oil change so all the crap doesnt just clog it back up again.

put another tin in with the fresh oil and bobs your uncle.

doing an oil change so all the crap doesnt just clog it back up again.

put another tin in with the fresh oil and bobs your uncle.

Are you kidding?!!?!? :shock: only changed it 3k miles ago. Might at least wait another 2k miles then do it at the earliest. Fancy getting the new "motorsport" oil from mobil 1 slapped in it in time for the summer. Did think perhaps changing the oil might become an option :(

chears ma man

timo

The tin says to leave it in the oil, but the best option (to me) seems to be to put these additives in to loosen everything up just before you change the oil, leave it for a few hundred miles and then swap the oil to remove all the gack that it might have loosened up (it's supposed to dissolve it, but it can't dissolve everything).

Mmm, maybe I should have waited a wee bit. SHould have put more thought in it. Nevermind you can never change the oil too much. Had decided to change the oil every 8k miles, but it might have to be 5k miles of less :( £££££!!

ta

timo