Sign in to follow this  
Das-Uberboost

Speedo issue

Have recently got a vr6 corrado and have noticed I'm causing a bit of traffic build up,

So went out with sat nav in and foun that at 30mph on the clock I'm actually doing 24mph and at 70mph I'm doing 60, the car has had the clock replaced at some point and don't know if they are vr clocks. Would this make a difference ?

Any help would be great thanks.

Have you got different size wheels on to standard? What tyre sizes are you running? The speedo usually over-reads a small amount anyway, but if you have incorrect size tyres/wheels then they will put the speedo out even more.

It's original speedlines 15" on the car, it just seems a long way out I know there normally out but 6mph at 30 seems a lot.

Are they the correct tyre sizes though? 205/50/15?

They must be VR clocks as other cars have different connectors, unless someone has taken the cluster apart to mix and match (not sure if this is even possible).

I've had clocks and guages under and over reading, and the way i resolved it was to buy a second hand set and take pot luck on ebay.

mine over read about 6mph at about 70-80, which I'm ok with. They over read by about 4mph at 30-40mph, so I know that the needle needs to be just under 35 and I won't get shot by the radar gun...

as you have done, just use your sat nav to mentally recalibrate it ;)

Im having a problem too

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4aHK5vsechlU8-ac2skw9JRsopDIIT_i0-r_lBrMXmBeZECI&t=1&usg=__QMIxrueVALCWT8CMDNxl3SmN2Kk=

Cant dry the beggers :lol:

Thats the first thing i thought of! :lol:

argh, can't get the banana hammock out of my head! :lol:

The tyre size is 205/50 r15 think the clocks have been in bits as there back lit blue there normally green arnt they ?

That's the correct tyre size for a VR6

Yes, lighting should be green, with the top three being white iirc.

I'd start by buying a second hand set of clocks as a complete unit from ebay, for fault diagnosis if nothing else. Swapping them over is easy once you've done it a few times. Here's a taster of how to:

- You only need to remove the front 4 screws (two vertical ones at top of the clock bezel and 2 behind pop-off covers at bottom corners of bezel).

- You don't need to undo the two fine screws on the actual clock unit itself as these hold the plastic cover on. Take it apart on a table if you wish.

- With a bit of wiggling it will rock forward and lift out. don't forget to disconnect the single multicore cable at the back left. It shouldn't drop down out of sight in my experience.

- You don't need to take the dash apart, but do need to be a bit creative and firmish when tugging the unit out diagonally. there is a sweet spot when it will come out without damage, I promise. dropping the steering wheel right down helps...

- Don't drop the screws down into the dash!!! If you do, they'll rattle you to insanity. If you lose any completely, most breakers have plenty as they are common Mk2 and Mk3 interior / dash screws...

- Make sure you line up the metal flat nut widgets correctly when fitting it all back together again. you'll know the bits i mean when you take the front bezel off.

Good luck!! It's easy once you've done it 15 or so times :lol:

i forgot to mention there are two screws in the top corners of the clocks, but have a go and shout if you get stuck :)