Sign in to follow this  
ww-promo

VR steering from the rear!! Abandoned on side of road.

Hi,

I have recently had some knocking comming from the rear end [passenger side] when reversing out of the drive or turning into say a car park over a small pavement step etc. Untill tonight, I had just pulled out onto a dual carriageway and I heard a bit of a clunk, then the C seemed to wobbly left to right! :shock:

It seemed like the rear end was steering. After :censored: :censored: :censored: alot I very quickly & slowly pulled over and abandoned her :( .

Can anyone please help me. Would it be the rear axel bushes? I did notice that the rear wheel had rubbed on the inside, so somthing has moved, alot!

Thanks in advance!

Oli

bugger.

suspension could be coming loose, axle itself coming loose. wouldnt have thought bushes would have gone that bad that quick, but you wont know until you have a good butchers underneath in the day light.

Could be any number of things. Best get it recovered and inspected! Luckily nothing on the rear of the car is THAT expensive to fix to be honest :)

F :censored: K it!

Sure this ones cursed! I dont really know what Im doing so will have to get my garage to come and collect her. Wheres that bus stop again? :(

Could be any number of things. Best get it recovered and inspected! Luckily nothing on the rear of the car is THAT expensive to fix to be honest :)

I'm liking the sound of that! Will call first thing.

Are you not in the AA or RAC? Should be something relatively simple to fix. Is the wheel sitting at more of an angle then usual? Was the other wheel still in the same position? Have the rear wheel bearings been looked at recently?

Are you not in the AA or RAC? Should be something relatively simple to fix. Is the wheel sitting at more of an angle then usual? Was the other wheel still in the same position? Have the rear wheel bearings been looked at recently?

No im not in the AA or RAC.....after driving Corrados for 6+ yrs I've only ever needed a tow once by my dad as my Alt went. So thought it wasnt worth it!

I dont know to be honest. Not sure if the bearings have been done. No paper work for it. The wheels have not been humming.

It looked pretty normal, but I did give it a good shake and there was plenty of play on the rear. Angle wise; it seemed normal. but was dark and had no touch.

I'm going for rear shock through the upper plate because of corossion...

Sounds like were taking bets! :D

If that was the case, is it just the suspension that would be knackered?

Finally got her to the garage today on a top loader. The rear wheel was all over the place.

Should get the verdict tomos.

I think you might be right about the suspension!

I'm going for rear shock through the upper plate because of corossion...

if that's the case my money's on the driver's side because of the crap collecting around the filler pipe :(

Turns out that the last garage to touch my C change the rear bushes but did not tighten the bolts up!!!!!!

WTF! One bolt was. Completely missing, one was cracked, I presume due to the xs weight & one was loose.

Won't be going back there in a hurry!

Better give them a good write up then .. ;)

FWIW it's a really weird feeling. I had two well worn out rear wheel bearings once and that was enough to make it feel rather like a shopping trolley..