Sign in to follow this  
nitsypee

Cam chain changes?

Hi there guys.

A quick Q: I'm probably looking at a couple of VR6s next week. Mileage is in the region of 120k - 150k.

Should the cam chains have been changed around this mileage? Or do they only need doing if they're making a noise?

Am wondering whether or not to factor this into the price.

Ta

Hi there guys.

A quick Q: I'm probably looking at a couple of VR6s next week. Mileage is in the region of 120k - 150k.

Should the cam chains have been changed around this mileage? Or do they only need doing if they're making a noise?

Am wondering whether or not to factor this into the price.

Ta

Theres about a million different threads on this matey. Just run a search on google and you'll see what i mean.

I don't think theres any lifespan on the chains as such its more so the tensioner pads but other people have different views on it - Alot of people get them done at 100k and its a gearbox off job if you want to change them so a lot of work really..

If you're worried just look out for one that's had them changed.

Some people have got cars that have upwards of 150k on them and still on original chains

Different people different needs (In a David Brent voice)

Yep, cam chains are not a VW service item, however the magic mileage is 100k. We have a Golf VR6 running original chains, and has 140k on the clock. Been meaning to do them for 25k haha!