Sign in to follow this  
wy906

I thought I had enough fuel to make it home....

I didn’t. Had to walk a mile to the nearest petrol station.

What an idiot.

I :roll: at myself.

Depends how accurate your fuel gauge is i can run mine in the red for a while without any problems, whereas some peoples theirs just has to creep into the red and it konks out

Unlucky fella hope you enjoyed the walk :D

Yup, happened to me a while ago but freakishly (no where near my house) a mate was driving past, slammed the brakes on and gave me lift to the station. Result!

The joys of not having a light either. Just gotta watch it. Its a habbit of mine now to always check the fuel gauge. Check it almost as much as the speedo :roll:

...Its a habbit of mine now to always check the fuel gauge. ...

whatever next, checking the oil level and tyre pressures? :)

mines gone into its stutter stage a couple of times. only time i have ran out tho it conked out on the forecourt!

My fuel gauge moves wildly on it's own, always fill up at quarter tank, or just as it touches the red bar.

Anyone else with the 12gal tank wonder why the half marker is 7gal?

My fuel gauge moves wildly on it's own, always fill up at quarter tank, or just as it touches the red bar.

Ditto, think i may have to pop open the lid for the in tank pump and take a look at the arm.

...Its a habbit of mine now to always check the fuel gauge. ...

:lol: i really should have read that back before posting :roll:

I do check mine but they never go down!

Regarding the fuel gauge I find both mind pretty accurate - even though the TDI one reads backwards :lol:

Best to never let it get into the red really - more strain on the pump etc...

I do check mine but they never go down!

Regarding the fuel gauge I find both mind pretty accurate - even though the TDI one reads backwards :lol:

You've never had the TDI run out of fuel, have you Steve! ;)

Ditto, think i may have to pop open the lid for the in tank pump and take a look at the arm.

It's likely to be that you have a mistmatch in the sender to the gauge. They stopped making the senders for the 12 gallon tanks ages ago and even fitting a matched 15 gallon tank sender and gauge means the gauge drops down very quickly.

Not much you can do about it unfortunately unless you fit the 15 gallon gauge face, it will mean it reads more accurately.

after changing my 8v pump (for a mk3 VR one :) ) I can see why it's a really bad idea to have much less than 1/4 of a tank in the car all the time,

the 8v/VR pumps are a fair size and rely on the fuel for cooling,

the interesting thing is the variation in pumps and senders means that you can mix and match pump bodies, top covers/connectors and level sensors across a wide range of VW's, and mk3's had the smaller 12 gallon tank don't forget.

I was lazy and my 8v has a golf VR pump with the float arm bent into the right position for the corrado tank :lol:

works fine though

Corrado 8v VDO pump

th_P1010401.jpg

th_P1010399.jpg

It's likely to be that you have a mistmatch in the sender to the gauge. They stopped making the senders for the 12 gallon tanks ages ago and even fitting a matched 15 gallon tank sender and gauge means the gauge drops down very quickly.

Not much you can do about it unfortunately unless you fit the 15 gallon gauge face, it will mean it reads more accurately.

I assume its the Piersburg sender you are referring to Yan? if so i got one earlier this year, cost me an arm and a leg though! £100+

Stretch - if you want this let me know im sure we could do a deal, wouldnt want the full price i payed. But something my way to recoup some of the cash would be nice :D its new, never been used - bought the wrong one as someone obv has changed the pump in mine at some point.

I was on about the numbers on the actual gauge face rather than anything else!

I have no idea what the actual pump is like, but I've not had any issues with my fuel pump... yet.

yeah, i've let mine run right down the last 2 times out of curiosity to almost see how far it will go - pump is making much more noise now so i've been out for a new filter today just in case!