Sign in to follow this  
HBeattieUK

Acceleration problems

Hi guys,

I've got a 91 1.8 16v, just had the head gasket skimmed etc, everything was running fine. Couple of days later it was misfiring, changed the leads, sparks, distributor cap & arm. Running fine, couple of days later the alternator goes! changed that myself, also changed both belts (power steering & alternator belts)... runs fine. 40 miles later - runs like a bag of sh*t...

Help me please before i commit! haha problem after problem it seems! :scratch:

It's loosing power from somewhere, its screaming & not going anywhere... :confused4:

Cheers! :salute:

sounds like a timing issue to me, have you checked the marks to make sure everything is lined up correctly?

Doesnt seem to be any air leaks. Yesterday all the coolant came spluttering out of the water bowl? dunno why that was... & when i rev up it takes longer for the revs to drop. Any idea what that could be pointing too?

do you mean coolant is bubbling in the coolant header tank?

idle speed is increased from normal?

if you havent touched any of the mixture screws ect, then it would seem that you either have an airleak after the trottle body poss inlet gasket, or throttle cable is sticking, lubricate the throttle linkage and check that is moving freely back and forth , there is a small microswitch that the throttle linkage assembly will touch, at idle, is this working correctly?

Doesnt seem to be any air leaks. Yesterday all the coolant came spluttering out of the water bowl? dunno why that was... & when i rev up it takes longer for the revs to drop. Any idea what that could be pointing too?

Yep I can tell you exactly what this is.

Head gasket is not sealing correctly.

The hot cylinder gases are getting into the coolant system causing it to overheat massively resulting in the coolant boiling over.

The longer rev drop is due to the lack of compression, ie drag, on the cylinders on over-run.

Unfortunately it's head back off time, a quick compression test should highlight the nerfed cylinder although it may not be obvious from this check.

OMG! haha simple stuff, changed the cap of the header tank & thats stopped the water leaking. & on the throttle cable is a little curclip that had fallen off, so there was no tension, which made the accelerator spondgey, all sorted now!

Oh apart from a little rattle coming from the exhaust lol!

Cheers guys!