Sign in to follow this  
V-Dubstar

Faulty Sunroof Query

Ok, long story short, had issues with the sunroof today which led to my interior being soaked :(

I went to tilt the sunroof open, it wouldn't, tried sliding it, it did. I only slid it open a little bit to see if it worked, but it wouldn't slide back into the closed position. Got to the cinema where we went to see Saw 3D, the weather was sunny so thought sod it go watch the film with it open about 2inches. Got out after the film, of course it had p1ssed down. Got to the car, tried the sunroof and it closed instantly!!! Typical.

Started driving off, tried the sunroof on tilt just to see, it started to work, so I brought it back into closed position. Then it didn't wanna tilt again, I didn't even try sliding it back in case it happened again, so I've left it shut.

Are these symptoms of a failing sunroof? Sliding back but not tilting or sliding back in? Why was it temperamental like this? Any ideas? Going to do a full search now for any info

either that or its getting stuck because it could have crap in it. put some lube on the sliders ,give it a good clean before hand .

Mine's similar. Reckon it's on it's way out. Can't do any harm to grease the sliders etc. Gonna bung a moonroof in mine sooner or later. Remember there should be an allen crank clipped to the motor, in case it won't close. You can then open/close manually. Had to do this today on mine :roll:

Mine's similar. Reckon it's on it's way out. Can't do any harm to grease the sliders etc. Gonna bung a moonroof in mine sooner or later. Remember there should be an allen crank clipped to the motor, in case it won't close. You can then open/close manually. Had to do this today on mine :roll:

Ok thanks guys. Andy, whereabouts is the crank and the motor? Any idea on the allen key size? (Gonna keep one with me permanently) :lol:

Chris, pull out the light/sunroof switch unit. Undo 2 screws holding the motor cover in place. Pull motor cover off- has a lip at the back edge, so be gentle. This will reveal the motor. The allen should be clipped onto it. Not sure on size. Literally takes a couple of minutes to do :)

its a very common problem with these cars, my brother had the same problem with his, he got it fixed but cant remember how.

Ok thanks guys. Andy, whereabouts is the crank and the motor? Any idea on the allen key size? (Gonna keep one with me permanently) :lol:

I drilled a hole through my motor cover and used the crank handle to manually open the roof for years :lol: Shame the MK2 Golf manual roof won't fit really as it would be a perfect solution. They never break. The Audi 90 manual tilt/slide one might though.

I did recently get mine working from the motor again but it took a good few s/hand motors to find one that worked. They really are tempermental and fragile peices of schitt and bloody expensive to buy new.