Sign in to follow this  
SIMONG

beaten down by my corrado!!

well after gathered various bits and bobs to change my coolant hoses over to my samco's, i attempted to fit them on saturday with some help from my good friend Rob, aka undulattice.

was making good head way until we came to fit the hose which goes on to the oil cooler/filter housing. what a complete and utter sh#t to get on! well i say on, after well over an hour of us both trying to fit it using various screwdrivers, pliers and pics ( :nono: ) i ended up giving up and putting the original back on. it was just to small to fit over the flanges, i dont see how if there meant to be "direct replacement"? at this piont starting to feel a bit done in as it was about 3:20pm and had no breakfast or diner. all pipe work on ready for coolant. one problem, the flange with the temp sensors in has a blank underneath which when getting my bits from VW, didnt supply a washer for it. only really one choice as it was sat afternoon i had to try and use the old one, i know i shouldnt but not much else i could do. 2lt of coolant in no probs, next 2lt and it starts to pizz out of the blank pipe. :brickwall:

at this point im feelin pretty, sorry really suicidal as im at work on a sat about 20miles from home with no getting back?

ended up leaving it there till monday and having to get my GF and boy to come and get me to take me home. feeling totally distraut. :(

but todays another day and out of sight out of mind. when i get to to work tomoz and gonna kick it right between the lights!

rant over!

Must be catching - feeling pretty angry with mine right now too.

Offered it to Vince - for nothing - yet he wouldn't take it - due to not having a full tank of fuel !! :lol:

I am cursed by Intermittent faults. :cry:

Hopefully to be fixed on Tuesday.

Simong - Just don't break the lights !!!

Good luck getting it fixed.

Definitely Samco's fault and not ours! Would be interesting to see if anyone else has had trouble fitting that hose as I can't see any way it could have gone on. Unless it was a dodgy part?

Nil desperandum, it'll be back on the road in no time 8)

I know the pipe you mean fella and I share your pain... Its a complete tw8t to get on with everything in the way, if I had to do it again I would remove the front end of the car to get access, its a very tight fit but should fit if you have the correct kit, did you compare the bore size of the old and new pipe to check its correct?

I know the pipe you mean fella and I share your pain... Its a complete tw8t to get on with everything in the way, if I had to do it again I would remove the front end of the car to get access, its a very tight fit but should fit if you have the correct kit, did you compare the bore size of the old and new pipe to check its correct?

We checked against the original hose and the bore size of two of the ends were identical (and fitted on), it was the lower right hand end of the Samco - as you look at the front of the car - that was around 2-3mm smaller and caused the problems. We even tried soaking it in hot water for a while to no avail. I think it may be worth sending it back, although it was kind of butchered by the time we'd finished with it :)

yeah two diameters were right but the other just that bit smaller! and we had the front bumper off to make it a bit easier but loads of other stuff in the way.

anyway, new seal in, coolant in, no leaks! think there was a bit of an airlock as the bottom hose wasnt getting hot, but there was warm air comin from the vents. few squizes of various pipes and a bit of a rev and it seemed to clear up and the bottom hose got hot. but still only warm air from the vents not hot air.

ran up to temp and its going over 120C!!! but the fan does kick in atthis point but only for a short while. i replaced the blue and black sensors but from a motor factors and they had various different ones. so now im thinkin wrong sensors maybe. gonna get some new seals and try the old sensors and see if that makes a difference to the temp.

drove all the way home and it stuck to 120C water and about 104C oil. oil wasnt really a concern but the water yes its never gone over 110C before?

Could be the sensors reading incorrectly.. especially if they're cheapo motor factors ones. Definitely worth trying the old ones again.

Samco's - just don't fit very well, I spent a whole day doing mine and I'm now back to genuine ones - thought I'd buy some while I could.

Temp sensor housing - they changed that to the 3 port version in 2001 so yours must have been original - VW should have added the bung, seal and extra clip to it as ETKA says 'also use...'

Air lock - you shouldn't get one if you fill up slowly - should take 5 mins according to VW, if the bottom hose is not getting hot then it's maybe a thermostat problem.

Could be the sensors reading incorrectly.. especially if they're cheapo motor factors ones. Definitely worth trying the old ones again.

To be fair, the VAG ones are £35 quid and I managed to shear mine off in the head when fitting. It's still there to this day. Mine was the warm up switch, so just runs like a dog until warm. But then mine hasn't run in 2 years, so... :nuts:

Also, the samco line will fit. The old black one is probably so soft that it slips on and off no problem. Surely, by the shape of that stupid pipe you can tell it's the right one? New rubber/whatever they make them from is a lot lot stiffer than old VW rubber pipes with a little bit of cottom string woven in!

To be fair, the VAG ones are £35 quid and I managed to shear mine off in the head when fitting. It's still there to this day. Mine was the warm up switch, so just runs like a dog until warm. But then mine hasn't run in 2 years, so... :nuts:

Also, the samco line will fit. The old black one is probably so soft that it slips on and off no problem. Surely, by the shape of that stupid pipe you can tell it's the right one? New rubber/whatever they make them from is a lot lot stiffer than old VW rubber pipes with a little bit of cottom string woven in!

As per post above, the bore size of the end that wouldn't fit on was noticeably different. All the other samcos went on no problem, regardless of the fact that they were stiffer than the originals.

well i have put the old sensors back in, went to vw and the guy who served gave me 3 seals and said "take em and try em there not on stock anyway" but a different guy the day before charged me £1.21 for 1 seal.

new seal on and old sensors in. drove all the way home and temp never got over 100C, pretty much stayed just over 90C. so gonna send them other sensors back.

as to the samco's, all the hoses went on pretty well. just that one which was physically to small!!

we'll just wait and see how those guys from the group but get on and see if there hoses are ok?

well i have put the old sensors back in, went to vw and the guy who served gave me 3 seals and said "take em and try em there not on stock anyway" but a different guy the day before charged me £1.21 for 1 seal.

new seal on and old sensors in. drove all the way home and temp never got over 100C, pretty much stayed just over 90C. so gonna send them other sensors back.

as to the samco's, all the hoses went on pretty well. just that one which was physically to small!!

we'll just wait and see how those guys from the group but get on and see if there hoses are ok?

Sorted then, good job. That's what you get for buying knock off bits down the flag market :lol: