Sign in to follow this  
AJ_EQ

VR6 Buying. Torque question.

Hi guys,

First post here.

I've been lurking on the forum for a while now and have been hunting for a VR6 for some time now.

I got to drive my first Corrado yesterday, which I loved. The only problem with it was it didn't seem to have much torque in the lower revs. After driving a 1.6l petrol Nissan I figured that stepping into the VR6 would be a significant increase in torque/acceleration. I didn't really want to rev it past 3k seeing as i was only giving it a quick test drive, but do you think it's something to be concerned about?

Otherwise the car is in fantastic condition (apart from loose steering column/wing mirror motors) and everything I expected from it in terms of handling and ride. Shame that I don't have another VR6 to compare it to, unfortunately not everyone wishes you to test drive their corrado.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Nick

You need to take the car on a good run You should get good torque in every gear.

the torque seems to be better the more you get it up the revs and when you put your foot down at you should have a good amount of torque

Whats the problem with steering column why is it loose?

wing mirrors could be a simple job like stripping apart and cleaning and might cure the problem.

Where about in the country are you?

Sounds about right. Mine will happily pull around town in 5th @ 30mph but you defo need to change down if you want any decent acceleration from there.

Shame you didnt get it above 3k rpm (can understand why) as that is when the VR6 gets into its stride.

Have you had a look on the corrado owners google map? Maybe someone local to you with a VR6 wouldnt mind taking you out for a spin.

I'm in Aylesbury in Buckinhamshire. The VR6 Im considering buying is in knebworth near Stevenage.

I was almost nervous to drive it for the first time due to significant increase in hp's from my current (probably about double), but as soon as I pulled away I was like "Oh", not quite what I expected.. pulling away in first was almost similar to doing the same in a T5 tdi. Felt I needed to change up as soon as possible... but then I didnt exactly put my foot down.

The owner informed me that he had recently changed the steering wheel back to the original and I just assumed that he hadn't tightened it properly. Bad assumption?

It did also pull to the left a little, maybe tracking? or worse? Not to sure how I would go about checking this.

Thanks again.

welcome to the forum, glad you loved the car but yes, you really need another drive of it.

i'm surprised why would you want to change up if you didnt feel you were in the power band yet? that would be a clear reason not to change up yet surely?

if you haven't taken it above 3k then you really havent experienced it at all unfortunately. they are a little bit flat at the bottom end - between 3.5-5k is where the fun (and the noise we all love) is - but then that is the same with most petrol cars? it is a little too old an engine to be very torquey at the bottom despite it being 2.9l.

also lots of them pull to the left a little, its no big deal unless you can look around the battery area and find evidence of previous knocks that might have been repaired badly.

The Nissan is my day car. I have also driven others in higher power bands, just never owned them. I guess I just fancied something to work on and drive at the weekend and I've had my eye on the corrado for some time. I didn't want to really take it above 3k, for the fear of appearing just a tyre-kicker. Mainly I was just surprised at the lack of torque in first under 3k. Just wondering really whether it's something I should be concerned about, or whether that's just how the engine is.

as soon as I pulled away I was like "Oh", not quite what I expected..

Yep, that is big dissapointment that hits most people when they first drive a VR6 :lol: If it was horrendously flat, there could actually be a problem with it. The most common killer of torque on this engine is a dead £40 cam sensor, but most people are oblvious to it as the engine drives OK without it, just uses a lot of fuel and feels slower than normal.....but being new to them, you don't know what normal is yet. The Corrado, unlike it's American "SLC" counterpart, didn't get a "Check Engine" light on the dash to give a visual clue something isn't right.

If you love the car, don't let the lack of urge put you off. It's only a lump of metal that can be hoiked out and replaced with any number of torquier engines from the VAG range. A popular choice is the 2.8 24V from the Golf and Bora 4Motions because it's the same capacity and power (insurance friendly) and cheaper to buy s/hand than rebuilding a 12V. Massively torquier low down, right off the pedal.

But the pay off for that low down urge is flatness beyond 3000rpm, which is where the 12V starts hitching up it's skirt.

Another reason the VR6 feels lethargic low down is silly tall gearing. To put this into some kind of real world perspective. Take the Civic Type R. The VR6 has a lot more torque than that engine, but the Civic feels quicker low down purely because of it's very short gearing. They are very evenly matched 0 - what ever mph though.....

as soon as I pulled away I was like "Oh", not quite what I expected..

Yep, that is big dissapointment that hits most people when they first drive a VR6 :lol: If it was horrendously flat, there could actually be a problem with it. The most common killer of torque on this engine is a dead £40 cam sensor, but most people are oblvious to it as the engine drives OK without it, just uses a lot of fuel and feels slower than normal.....but being new to them, you don't know what normal is yet. The Corrado, unlike it's American "SLC" counterpart, didn't get a "Check Engine" light on the dash to give a visual clue something isn't right.

If you love the car, don't let the lack of urge put you off. It's only a lump of metal that can be hoiked out and replaced with any number of torquier engines from the VAG range. A popular choice is the 2.8 24V from the Golf and Bora 4Motions because it's the same capacity and power (insurance friendly) and cheaper to buy s/hand than rebuilding a 12V. Massively torquier low down, right off the pedal.

But the pay off for that low down urge is flatness beyond 3000rpm, which is where the 12V starts hitching up it's skirt.

Another reason the VR6 feels lethargic low down is silly tall gearing. To put this into some kind of real world perspective. Take the Civic Type R. The VR6 has a lot more torque than that engine, but the Civic feels quicker low down purely because of it's very short gearing. They are very evenly matched 0 - what ever mph though.....

Well put that man perfect response :) :clap:

spot on Kev - 'nail - hit - on - head' :lol:

took mine out for spirted drive yesterday after not having been out for over three wks due to MOT check, niggles etc (etc meaning 'wet'!! :lol: )

Just wanted to ask the question of the car, 'right, you still got it then?'.

Took it to a long quiet empty stretch of good tarmac and commenced the experiment.

Rolled it from standing start up to 3k rev, then planted till about 5,800 / 6k, it does feel a bit thin or light, if that makes sense, not getting you down the road as much as you'd expect, but 1st is just a set up for 2nd gear to really get the party started i reckon , and if you get to say, 5k rev, in 2nd and tell me it's not quick, well then you best get a turbo stuck on!

In short - get in one and give it some Heinz - then report back!

Yeah, give it the Heinz :D Or indeed the Branston. They do some nice beans as well!

They don't have an immediate thump like the engine capacity would suggest, but rather an elastic powerband that's linear and long reaching, if that makes sense. So don't expect any TDI or 1.8T kind of thumps below 3K. That isn't what the VR6 is about.

As kevhaywire says

"The most common killer of torque on this engine is a dead £40 cam sensor, but most people are oblvious to it as the engine drives OK without it, just uses a lot of fuel and feels slower than normal.....but being new to them, you don't know what normal is yet."

I had exactly this happen to me - an experienced VR6 driver said "this is a bit down on power" having driven it for about 15 yards. VAGCOM scan confirmed the fault, new sensor and another 40 odd bhp are available.

Mine also had an intermittent misfire at the same time as the above problem. Both of those things fixed in the same afternoon made a HUGE difference and confirmed I have bought the right car after all!

As kevhaywire says

"The most common killer of torque on this engine is a dead £40 cam sensor, but most people are oblvious to it as the engine drives OK without it, just uses a lot of fuel and feels slower than normal.....but being new to them, you don't know what normal is yet."

I had exactly this happen to me - an experienced VR6 driver said "this is a bit down on power" having driven it for about 15 yards. VAGCOM scan confirmed the fault, new sensor and another 40 odd bhp are available.

Me too mate. I was gutted when the D reg 325i I traded in against my VR6 felt torquier than my VR6 and it's 400cc bigger engine :scratch:

A dyno test at Stealth a week later showed a miserable 172hp :( New sensor put in and it shot straight up to 200hp and 199lb/ft. Interestingly enough, it didn't feel any quicker low down, so that was a double gutting really, but it was significantly faster once in the zone (4000rpm upwards) though :clap:

Fickle engines for sure, but sublime and addictive when running right.

Shame there isn't a check engine light, although if my experience of the ABS warning light is anything to go by it would be on 99% of the time!

hmmmmm :shock:

You've got me wondering now :lol:

Not being an expert, would even I notice if it was down in power?

Like I said, had it out recently, and it, to me, seemed in pretty good shape.

I take it I can order the cam sensor off eurocarparts etc?

cheers :salute:

+1 for fickle engine - they need to be setup right.

Mine is currently flat as a pancake, and its simply due to the battery going flat over the weekend, and I haven't had time to properly reset the ECU/basic settings. You need to do this while the engine is warm, but I did it when it was stone cold, and on cheap 95 ron fuel, and have lost a lot of BHP as a result.

Simple way to solve your concern is to test drive another one! And for gods sake give it a good rev this time!

Best test is to find a quiet stretch and in second gear from about 1500rpm floor it.

It'll pick up, but nothing special until you hit 4000rpm you should feel it really picking up and go for it. If you check my posts, i never feel like it's quick enough, but half the issue is the fact that the Corrado doesn't give you as much of a sensation of speed, which I suppose is good as it's supposed to be a high speed tourer.

Corrado's have their off days too I reckon. If they are driven slow for a while, the ECU adapts and when you try gunning it, feels slow. After a while driving fast it picks up and you get the full beans.

I wonder if this is what affected the (Top Gear) tests i read a while back, where they said they couldn't get the quoted performance figures VW had during their test. Hmm...

+ 1

VR6s are much better on a long run. The cylinder temperatures get right up and burn off all the sooty carbon that's built up from lots of short journeys. They feel better everywhere in the rev range!

You just have to get used to driving it. I found them a bit tame on the test drives as was nervous and not my car.

Once you get used to giving it some stick it really moves

I think that is what makes it great. Can be a calm cruiser or plenty urgent and noisy if your in the mood

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

I would never swap my VR for anything, I think I would say the power has a surge.. Or I think someone in a review said the power was " elastic" almost as the revs rise towards 4000 rpm they almost start to climb round at quite a deceptive speed!!!! I love the sound of mine when the cat is warm with the burble from the exhaust.. VR6 for the win.

I have to say as a side note... Do not think for one sec a standard corrado vr is slow.. I was at a car meet a couple of weeks ago when a Starlet turbo ( thousands spent) owner gave me some crap all night about my grandad car until on the way home he tried sizing up his toy against mine and the VR I have to say royaly battered it.

^^

Ha Ha Thats what I like about the VR some people think they can take it on and beat it only to discover it aint that easy

I would never swap my VR for anything, I think I would say the power has a surge.. Or I think someone in a review said the power was " elastic" almost as the revs rise towards 4000 rpm they almost start to climb round at quite a deceptive speed!!!! I love the sound of mine when the cat is warm with the burble from the exhaust.. VR6 for the win.

I have to say as a side note... Do not think for one sec a standard corrado vr is slow.. I was at a car meet a couple of weeks ago when a Starlet turbo ( thousands spent) owner gave me some crap all night about my grandad car until on the way home he tried sizing up his toy against mine and the VR I have to say royaly battered it.

Good man! :D

Out of interest did you find out how much the starlet was putting out?

Good man! :D

Out of interest did you find out how much the starlet was putting out?

Lol after the incident the guy pulled into a petrol station and we had a bit of a catch up and he turned out to be ok. Starlet was running close to 180-200 bhp how much of that is true im not sure!!

Does changing the sensor make that much difference???? Im guessing that is the crank sensor.....

If the crank sensor's not working, the engine won't fire, full stop.

They're referring to the hall sender, aka camshaft position sensor. Without that the ECU will retard the ignition and the engine performance is known to get very flat.