Sign in to follow this  
ww-promo

Battery keeps going flat? Not alt. 3rd one in 2 wks!

Ok, bit long winded I know but Any help on this would be a great help.

I am on my 3rd battery in only 2 wks!

1st battery: 

fine getting me to work in morning. Then would not start after work.

Bumped her and just about manage to get her to garage for new battery.

Everything electric was working at half speed or half brightness.

Second battery:

This was brand new Bosch s3! Put in on Friday night last wk.

VR started as normal and I got home ok. 45min drive.

I only drove the VR once over wknd for 20mins. Then drove to work Monday as normal.

She did seem to struggle only slightly on start up.

After work she was completely flat, the fob would not open her to.

I charged the battery over night and morning and she started fine at midday.  so drove to the garage and left her there. 

The garage have done tests and say the alternator is working fine and said it was a duff battery.

So a new one has been put in and tested by garage

Today. 

They said all was fine as I collected tonight. On the drive back home all lights internal & external were half as bright & the windows & wipers were very slow. 

I had to jump start her at the petrol garage with the help of some kind fellas! & 2 mins later she lost all power! This was just around the corner from my house. I then turned off the fog lights & power came back which just got me the extra 100m home where she literally stalled outside my house.

I've taken the battery out and have it on charge.

Sorry for the long winded msg but I'm at my wits end with this and have no idea what's up.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

my battery kept going flat,turned out to be my alpine stereo because it had 2 perm lives going to it

Hey, dont think it would be as I've had the same stereo in it and was working all fine.

It was only after the garage did a service and changed my HT leads that the problem occured.....

Garage have said the alternator is fine but do you have or can you borrow a volt meter to test your self? I doubt very much that you would have managed to get through three batteries.

This site shows you how to perform a quick test of an alternator http://www.carbasics.co.uk/How_to_test_ ... rnator.htm

Hi, Good link, cheers. I will see if I can find one or buy one to test. I was going to stick the battery back in, in the morning and hope she will keep her going to reach the garage again.

Its like something is draining the battery even when she is parked up.?? :scratch:

Sounds like something is shorted out. If you're flattening a battery that fast it's probably getting quite hot ...

Mmm, I have no idea where to start looking.

Going to try and get her to garage in morning as need it fixed asap as its my daily!

Looks like it was the alt after all!

New one is in and all electrics are working at full speed & brightness! :clap:

Thanks for your help.