Sign in to follow this  
raddo-dave

rebuilt vr6 s/c misfire under load

no i aint had it on vag com yet, i have just bought the cable for it and my mates gonna come round with his laptop when i get it

out of curiosity how would a map fault occur from transfering the charger set up from 1 engine to another?

thanks dave

I never tried it with the VR6, but VAG-COM has output tests. When your mate comes round with his Laptop, install VCDS on it (www.ross-tech.com) and go into the Engine settings. If output tests for the VR6 are are available, you can check all 6 plugs are firing and also check all 6 injector drivers are firing. If you can test these, pull the fuel pump relay before cranking it over (167 in the fuseboard).

Or you can do it the old fashioned way.

Remove all 6 plugs and pull the connectors off all 6 injectors.

Place a plug in one of the HT leads and rest the threads on a metal part of the engine, crank it over and look for a spark. Repeat for the other 5 plugs and leads. Or, if you can rest 6 plugs at once on the engine somehow, you can do it one hit.

We can at least then outrule plugs, leads and the Coilpack.

Checking injectors is trickier. There needs to be 12-16 ohms load across the injector plug or the ECU output won't fire, so you can simulate the load with a test light. A 12V 10 watt bulb will give you 14 ohms and connect that to each injector and crank it over.

Then we can outrule the injector wiring.

If that all looks as it should, it's time to call Stealth Racing I think!

thanks for your reply kev, i was doing as u suggested,took the manifold off to get to everything and i noticed 1 of the injector plugs wasnt on properly(the metal retaining clip was off on the underside) so i put it back on and checked the others and it runs sweet as a nut now and has put a massive smile on my face

i feel a right penis for not stripping it all back in the first place :mad2:

thanks for everyones input much appreciated

thanks dave

No worries, we all do things like that mate :D

Actually, just after I suggested the injector checks I remembered you have the standard inlet manifold, so what a ball ache! Short runner intakes make things so much easier / quicker with forced fed VR6s :D

Glad it's OK now!

i have a short runner sat here in my room ready for my corrado which i was tempted to use when i was rebuilding the golf, wish i had,it would of made finding the problem very easy :lol:

thanks again